Where to find vacuum pump pulley

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a vacuum pump pulley for after 03/92 manufacturer date? I can only find prior 03/92 pulleys. Or can I use the prior to 03/92 pulley?

It's for a 1992 f350 7.3 idi

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serp belt or V-belt? 92 was changeover year
My manufacturer date is 09/92 it is the V-belt, but O'Reilly has a pump for after 03/92 and the pulley says the same(after or before 03/92) 2 different pumps. There is NO pulley available that I have found for after 03/92.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you not use the existing pulley?
eBay is where I bought my pulley but it's a serp pulley.
You also should rent a power steering pulley puller tool/kit from auto parts store.
You will need it for removal and install just FYI. If you attempt to remove the pulley in any other fashion or install it you are more than likely to end up with a stone age shaped pulley.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your style of pulley is out there for purchase just gotta look. Intranet is your best option in my opinion good luck.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't you reuse the old one? I saw several at pic n pul here last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you not use the existing pulley?
eBay is where I bought my pulley but it's a serp pulley.
You also should rent a power steering pulley puller tool/kit from auto parts store.
You will need it for removal and install just FYI. If you attempt to remove the pulley in any other fashion or install it you are more than likely to end up with a stone age shaped pulley.
Thanks. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong? Does the pulley have bearings or only the vacuum pump? That is why I want to replace the pulley also, because either the pulley or vacuum pump is bad- I'm not getting enough vacuum- my braking power isn't as good as it should be. Seems like when I hit the pedal it loses vacuum pressure steadily down to a certain point, or all of it and maybe only my rear brakes are working properly. I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out how to test that ( if my front brakes aren't where they should be)

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't you reuse the old one? I saw several at pic n pul here last week.

There's only one more pick n pull in my area that I haven't checked but in the one I did - not a single 7.3 engine in any vehicle in the whole lot. I read - though I know even on credible sites it's not reliable- that the vacuum pump is specific to the 7.3 and when I look up a new one I see " for 7.3 diesel only" on the description. Maybe they wanted to use a different vacuum pressure? I will figure more out this weekend when I pop the hood. I'm just trying to get it all figured out before because the storms out here give me limited time to work on the truck right now.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulley just pulls off. But you can get an electric vacuum pump too.
Also if you're brakes suck you can convert to hydroboost. That's what I'm doing

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The description on that says for trucks built before 04/92 so what now? I think it is the same...i think that anything is there than that pulley is the serpentine type. But you may be right about the leak, I'll find out tomorrow, but I still think I need a new pump--beccause-- it leaks from the 'weep hole'? Maybe it is OK for just a a to b driver but I plan on using it to haul for work so I need things like the brakes to work perfectly.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then get a hydroboost.system.
I absolutely love mine, nothing like a 4.5 ton rig coming to a hault RIGHT NOW

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then get a hydroboost.system.
I absolutely love mine, nothing like a 4.5 ton rig coming to a hault RIGHT NOW

I agree. I have not completed mine yet. But iirc there is a great tutorial for it on here. And I think there was even a write up about it in 4wd magazine. Google it. Lots of info. And it's not an expensive swap.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pumps you will find at the auto parts stores wont have the pulley you just pull your pulley off and swap. I would check all your vacuum lines first .