What's the best of the 6.2L's

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over Christmas break I traded a $200 worth of scrap for what was left of a 1988 K2500 6 Lug with a missing rear axle, and no engine. The main reason I wanted this truck is because it's a 4X4 with a 4 speed, and I believe 3.42 ring and pinion in the front axle. I've got a lead on a full floating rear axle, and I have a 292 I-6 out of a bread van that I thought about putting in it. The more I think about it, however, the more I think I'd like to have the power and torque of a turbo'd 6.2L rather than that of the 292.

I really don't know that much about the 6.2's so my question to you guys is this: While I'm searching for a 6.2, what should I look for and watch out for?:dunno

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Over Christmas break I traded a $200 worth of scrap for what was left of a 1988 K2500 6 Lug with a missing rear axle, and no engine. The main reason I wanted this truck is because it's a 4X4 with a 4 speed, and I believe 3.42 ring and pinion in the front axle. I've got a lead on a full floating rear axle, and I have a 292 I-6 out of a bread van that I thought about putting in it. The more I think about it, however, the more I think I'd like to have the power and torque of a turbo'd 6.2L rather than that of the 292.

I really don't know that much about the 6.2's so my question to you guys is this: While I'm searching for a 6.2, what should I look for and watch out for?:dunno

I use to be a 6.2/6.5 fanatic but have forgotten most. I will tell you what all I remember.

All the 6.2's were good blocks and engines. Expecially the 82-83 "red valve cover" engines. They had the highest nickel content. There is another high nickel block but forget the casting numbers. J-code engines are the highest power output. They are found in most 3/4 ton trucks and 1 tons. They have the HO IP's and larger intakes and come without EGR. Those are good engines.

If you get lucky, you can find the 93 6.5 turbo engine. It is the only year they offered mechanical injection pump with a turbo and is usually the 599 block. 599 is the last 3 didgits of the casting number and 599's are a high nickel block and are the best to use as a platform. 599's also came in other years other than 93. But you will need to score a mechanical IP and injector lines to match.

Hope this helps.

randomid25

Reaction score
599 blocks also have a one piece rear main vs a two piece. There are 6.2l 599 blocks but they're pretty hard to find. I've been looking for one for a couple of years. Haven't found one yet. I like the thought of thicker cylinder bore walls. Also 6.2l piston crowns are supposedly thicker than 6.5 pistons.

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
599 blocks also have a one piece rear main vs a two piece. There are 6.2l 599 blocks but they're pretty hard to find. I've been looking for one for a couple of years. Haven't found one yet. I like the thought of thicker cylinder bore walls. Also 6.2l piston crowns are supposedly thicker than 6.5 pistons.

You are correct.

Me and my family are planning on doing alot of travelling this summer.... disneyland, explore Utah, etc. and I wanted something the kids would be comfortable in, and get good milage, so I found a 92 GMC conversion van with a 6.2 diesel and bought it. While changing to the J code intake and doing some other checks and servicing, I noticed it is a 599 block. First one Ive seen of the 6.2's. Ive seen lots of 599 6.5's. So I thought that was cool.

Edit:

BTW, the 6.2 is a awesome engine for a van. Good power and great economy. It really shines in that application.

Last edited:

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
the 6.2l from about 83 to 91 were 660 castings.... they were a massed produced engine that lost some of the luster of the earlier motors.... like it has been said, the 82 red blocks were good motors, other than the problematic cracking of the heads.... this cracking issue is due to larger valves used in these heads.. the later motors had less head cracking issues, but with the cheaper metals used in the blocks and the manner they were machined,(not enough curing on the blocks before machining) they were prone to cracks developing in the main webs...

IMO you will be better off finding late model 6.2l (599 casting) or an early 6.5L with the same casting.... they are physically the same motors with a very minimal change in power.... the good thing about the 6.5l turbo motors is that they employ anodized piston tops to be able to take more heat from turbocharging...

here are some pics of block cracking... there is a guy on ebay selling take out hummer motors, that have been run and verified to be good for 1600.00 its a god price as the come with the injectors and pumps as well...

Attachments

• crack 1 add a little heat.JPG
    crack 1 add a little heat.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 28
  • crack 2 before.JPG
    crack 2 before.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 23
  • insert cracked.JPG
    insert cracked.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 28
  • web crack 1.JPG
    web crack 1.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 27

12vctd

Reaction score
check out govt liquidations, tons of 6.2 and 6.5 motors there. I know people who have bought 4 motors for less than 200 dollars for the lot of them. Then they simply inspected and took the good parts scrapped the rest and came out ahead.

I have also seen optimiser blocks and P400 come out of DRMO on the govt liq site. Worth a look if I was to build a strong motor I would consider this

IamDave0887

IDI nutcase
Reaction score
I use to be a 6.2/6.5 fanatic but have forgotten most. I will tell you what all I remember.

All the 6.2's were good blocks and engines. Expecially the 82-83 "red valve cover" engines. They had the highest nickel content. There is another high nickel block but forget the casting numbers. J-code engines are the highest power output. They are found in most 3/4 ton trucks and 1 tons. They have the HO IP's and larger intakes and come without EGR. Those are good engines.

If you get lucky, you can find the 93 6.5 turbo engine. It is the only year they offered mechanical injection pump with a turbo and is usually the 599 block. 599 is the last 3 didgits of the casting number and 599's are a high nickel block and are the best to use as a platform. 599's also came in other years other than 93. But you will need to score a mechanical IP and injector lines to match.

Hope this helps.

Honestly couldn't argue with anything posted if i wanted to.

100% spot on.

The only thing I'd add is be careful of the early 506 blocks if you come across one. They came around in late 96/97 and were the first oil squirter blocks. The piston squirters were too large, which results in the block cracking around them eventually.

Another good engine would be a mil spec take out. The military still uses the 6.5s and they are the GEP engines, which are the best 6.5s built. They are even better than the high nickle content red blocks(called this due to the red engine paint) from 82/early 83.