What's does green stuff out of ac compressor mean?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys I'm not an ac man at all. I went out to unplug my block heater to go buy beers and I saw bright green liquid on the ground and was saying *** is it now lol. Popped the hood and my ac compressor has a pretty good leak of green oil stuff running down the side. I haven't used my ac in a while. It got below freezing last night 17 degrees. Could that have anything to do with this leak blowing open? Before today the compressor had an oil leak stain from dirt but it never looked green like it does today.

My coolant is pink so I know for a fact that's not what is on the ground or on the ac compressor before someone asks.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The green is probably a uv dye put into the system to check for leaks or it could be a sealer liquid put in it to stop a past leak

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup its probably dye, I've seen refrigerant oil already loaded with dye now when you do any service.

why are you plugging in your block heater? profile says you are in Texas......................

7.3 idi started better than the 7.3 powerstroke, but I don't plug my powerstroke in until well below -20 C or less than 0 F

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like the compressor was over loaded with oil/dye.
But the extreme cold probably shrunk a seal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green is dye, never use sealer.Stuff is evil

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Everyone seems to think winters here are in the 60's lol.

that's cus as a general rule,they are.:D how did that 17F treat ya? good to know you cowboys get a taste of the good stuff once in a while.:D

to me,the green stuff means,it's time to unplug the a/c compressor and not worry about it until spring lol.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me,the green stuff means,it's time to unplug the a/c compressor and not worry about it until spring lol.

Yep, a lot of people don't realize that the compressor comes on when you turn the defrost on with most newer vehicles. So, when you use the defrost you are using the a/c, too. If the a/c in any of my vehicles starts to not work I unplug the a/c. I have been running the truck this way for years as I have had other priorities than updating it to R134.

Had a friend of my daughter turn hers on (I had unplugged the compressor wires but someone had plugged them back in) turn her defrost on and the compressor overheated with lack of oil circulation and froze up. It took out the belt which took out the power steering, alt, water pump. This was at 10:30pm on a sunday night 3 1/2 hours from the house. Ended up making 2 trips. One to pick up the 3 ladies (they had work/school in the morning) that night, and one to get the vehicle the next day (had to rent a trailer).

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was about a shot glass full of the green oil that came out.
Is that all the oil? Can I add oil or is the compressor trashed? Can I replace the seal in the center where it's leaking from?
It's no longer leaking now just fyi.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was said earlier, the green stuff is dye that is used to help diagnose leaks. It is mixed with the oil used for lubrication. If it is coming out of the compressor seals more than likely the compressor is shot (not much of an a/c expert, but I would plan on replacement if it was mine). If your pulley on the compressor still spins freely from the compressor and the shaft is not loose I would disconnect the wires from the compressor. This will leave it as a idler pulley and should not cause any issues. If the pulley doesn't spin freely and/or the shaft wobbles (loose) then you need to remove the belt or it will potentially fail catastrophically. I did not notice if it was a serpentine setup or v-belt. If it is a v-belt, just remove that belt and all is well for awhile. If serpentine, you need that pulley to complete the system.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a friend of my daughter turn hers on (I had unplugged the compressor wires but someone had plugged them back in) turn her defrost on and the compressor overheated with lack of oil circulation and froze up.

It should not do the above,it must have been ready to blow up anyway. Lack of oil circulation means a lack of freon in the system. The low pressure switch will not let it run this way and protects the compressor.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ac has been running really well when it was needed.
Well hell. I run a serp belt set up.
Does anyone no of the length of a belt I can use to bypass the ac compressor for the winter?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should not do the above,it must have been ready to blow up anyway. Lack of oil circulation means a lack of freon in the system. The low pressure switch will not let it run this way and protects the compressor.

Point taken. I am not well verased in all the details. It was a used compressor when we put it in 5-6 years before

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone no of the length of a belt I can use to bypass the ac compressor for the winter?

Just go to the parts store and ask for a belt for a 7.3 no-a/c truck. There are 2 different part numbers.

As far as the oil goes. If you got that much oil out of it then you have a systemic failure. I would echo what has already been recommended and just unplug the clutch. It may run now, but if you've already lost that much oil, you will lose more. It's just going to give up spectacularly at the most inopportune moment and feed all kinds of goodness through your system.

I've heard that the center seal replacement is more of a clean-room operation; not really bench work. I looked into it as well and there were a lot of people who claimed failure. Apparently there is some magic to it. Don't really understand it myself.

Go to Yellow Rose Distributors to get your compressor. Excellent prices. I was pointed to them by a friend who wrenches for a BMW dealer. I've already bought several from them. They sell everything you need there(o-rings, flush, oil, etc).

200 N Vacek St, Fort Worth, TX 76107