What to look for. (Pre-sale)

MrStretch

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new here! Here because I'm about to go look at a 93 tomorrow. Stock n/a auto. Wanting advise on what to watch out for? Briefly had a Quadravan with a 6.9L but other than that I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these trucks. (Hence the forum. :))

Thanks!
-Mr.tretch

MrStretch

Reaction score
Thanks. I knew there would be something like that on here someplace. Gives me quite a bit to go on but makes me a bit nervous to go look. I've talked to the guy on the phone and he doesn't know what cavitation is..... :dunno

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean coolant. Not rusty mud. Bad damage repair. Things like hammered to fit places on the core support. Maintenance records or receipts are always good.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the very first thing you do is verify the vin with the title.
trust but verify.

MrStretch

Reaction score
Still looking. The guy had run it before I got there... Said it was hard starting and he hadn't changed the glow plugs since he'd had it. (15 yrs) leaking oil out the bottom of one valve cover and the oil was over full. Oil pan and trans were covered in oil and just obviously not maintained in general. Despite all that it still sounded so good I wanted to buy it anyways. ha.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always build one.....
I got mine cheaper than dirt cheap.
I did put tons of cash into it, but I built exactly what I wanted.
you can get them cheap.
I even have a shell of a 4 door bronco.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the price, that's for sure.
It also depends on your willingness to learn and ability to work on one of these(do you have other transportation, or will it be your only rig?)

I'm pretty well convinced that most of the obvious issues aren't deal breakers... you just need to be aware of it going in.
Hard starting IDIs are, well, most of them. Glow plug, wire connector and/or controller replacement and you'll be good to go.

Smoking badly at idle, or when cold, either gray or white? Timing/injection pump generally.
If it's also got a dead miss/skip that doesn't go away at higher RPMs or when warmed up, then you worry more - Probably a rocker loose or valve screwed up.

Valve cover oil leaks? Typical. Usually just need to tighten the bolts down. Or replace the gasket for just a few $.

Overfilled oil? As long as you know that the person deliberately overfilled it(say by checking it with the engine running), OK. A couple of extra quarts won't make much difference. Otherwise, it could be leaking something else into the oil, which might require a headgasket to be replaced.

Oil in the coolant? Oil cooler needs rebuilt.

Coolant in the oil? Head gasket or valley pan gasket.

Leaks oil? Well, yeah... They all do that. :p It's International's patented rust protection system!

MrStretch

Reaction score
Well, I got one. 92 N/A with ZF5. with 249k. Bought it up in Portland and drove it 500mi home without any problems. Been busy and haven't looked it over real close mechanically (I'm not much of a mechanic, anyway) But it doesn't seem to leak much if at all. Has a coolant filter. I think I'd like to check the timing and/or pay someone to check it. Seems to use a fair bit of fuel. I roughly calculated 13ish mpgs on my drive home. Smokes like a sumbitch pulling passes in 3rd and 4th. Good thing it doesn't have to pass Cali smog! :)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do buy one. I like to replace belts and hoses unless they look new. Repack the wheel bearings too so you dont burn a knuckle up.