What to do when the water drain plug strips?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankfully this isn't on my truck for once, but a truck we have a t work(03 f250 6.0) Well, anyways the water in fuel light was on, so I tried to take the allen head plug out of the filter housing, and low and behold, someone else had already killed it for me. I tried pounding a slightly smaller one into it, but that too also slipped back out. So what's the next best route for getting the water out ? Thanks

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
What to when drain plug strips?

HMMMMMM Wellll how much metal is around the weldin for threads? Was the plug of 1/4" , 3/8" or 1/2". Some else please chimin here after this. Well helli coils work on these? If so you would have to drill a hole size to fit a helli coil. Should think that you will have to up size one to, tap threads for it. Put the helli coil in it and Copper Cote both of the threads to put a new plup in. In stead of a plug is if safe to put a valve there For draining sounds like therer should be?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, the plug threads aren't stripped, the allen keyed"hole" is stripped, plug will not remove. Anyone?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill carefully, EZ out and replace it with the plug for the Ford cab overs that is a better design. I was looking for the article about the better drain plug for the HFCM on SDD but can't find it..... Mikey.... any help on this one.

Groundhawg

Reaction score
There is a tool for stripped out allen bolts...I believe the one I have at work is called "SOCK OUT" It looks like an allen wrench except it is tapered at the end. You have the taper just small enough to start in the hole, then tap it home...then it should turn out.

If that doesn't work, then you might have to use a bolt extractor.

tonkadoctor mentioned the drain plug upgrade...the IH part number is 2589259C91
It's a brass replacement plug, still has the allen head if it gets a little tight, but it has knurling and protrudes out from the filter housing so you can just use your fingers to take it out.

AFTER THOUGHT...We have made these at work too...for larger sized allen head bolts. Used the mill, but you could do the same thing with a steady hand, a grinder, and some time.

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tap a Torx bit into it and back it out. It may take a couple tries to get one that will fit. I have done this to hundreds of stripped allens and 8 filter drains in particular.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drain plug

Ford has a update kit for that plug they did away with the allen head. cant tell you the ##

JMF350

Reaction score
Drill and tap for 1/8 NPT (use some sort of sucker or vac to remove shavings if there are any), install a 90 elbow and a brass pit-**** style drain valve. Have done a few of these with no problems.

Albin

Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88