what rpm's do you guys run in your trucks???? what is considered being "hard" on it

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
With my F450's, I run at the governor all day long.(3500-3800 rpm's) the trucks are 4.63 or 5.13 ratio'd in the rear. If you have a load on the motor, they don't care where they run.
My F350 will pull hard all the way to 3800rpm but there's nothing normal about the motor or the surrounding plumbing. before IC, the power would fade out at 3k rpm, not so after IC install.
you results may vary. but one thing is consistent, I work my trucks hard within the factory limits and have gotten good service out of my trucks.
one motor was condemned at 400k on the odo and did not recieve any oil changes just to see how far before it dies. it finally died at 650k on the odo.

This was a controlled, scientific experiment conducted by a trained professional... Don't try this at home folks! LOL

My brown truck with the C6 would see 3300 all day long, otherwise I was likely to get mowed down on my way to work up 580 in the morning. she got some pitiful fuel mileage though.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
With my overdrive out now I am running about 2700 rpm to keep from getting mowed in traffic. I can practically watch the gas gauge move now!! I am definitely fixing the GVO!!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My 7.3 ZF5, 4.10 runs 2100RPM @ 60MPH, and I believe that's the sweet spot for cruising.

6.9 C6, 3.55 runs about the same, a little over ~ 2300RPM @ 60MPH.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both IDIs I've ever driven had 4:10s, so they were cruising 2800-3000. I sort of feel like 3k is the max for your fillings, but both rigs have done Denver-New England at that speed without any problems other than getting passed by a whole lot of traffic!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I usually try to keep the rev's down on both my trucks but when I'm hauling heavy I wind them up as needed without fear....I had 3.5tons on the F350 last weekend, with the 460 ZF behind the 6.9 howling in 3rd gear at 70km/hr it's just screamin up the hills but it pulls them great.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I brought mine home from FL, I ran for a while up near 3K going through the mountains. Truck did fine, but like OCNORB I could watch the fuel gauge move down. I'm glad to know that I can run her hard when I need to and she'll do just fine.