What makes our oil black anyways?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
hhey,

Now my brain thinks this way... Stay with me a second here...

Ok you run a solution like your autorx through the oiling system and it loosens up the bits and pieces of crap (soot, sludge or buildup) that means this stuff is suddenly floating throughout the oiling system until it makes it to either the full flow filter or bypass filter. Now this crap has to pass by the bearings and other important stuff so what's to say by freeing this stuff up you won't cause more of a problem... just thinking out loud...

Now before you go off on a tangent here, let me say this. More than likely you will loosen this stuff up from the drain back system (heads for example) so then the stuff will break loose and find it's way down to oil pan where it will more than likely be sucked up by the oil pump then pushed to the oil cooler (on an IDI that is the next stop off point right before the full flow filter - but on a PSD I don't know what the oiling system path is) so that would mean if the full flow filter does not grab it then it's off to the bearings we go. that is unless it decides to take the right turn towards the bypass system this pass around. I say that the IF the full flow grabs it because we all know that the full flow doesn't do much other than grab the big huge hairy chunks from the oiling system. Hence the reason you run a bypass in the first place.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I agree with argve... I had a buddy do this to a truck of his...

Ran a detergent of some sort through the motor to clean it all up... next thing you know its puking out the seals and running like crap...

It did just what argve is talking about... it kicked loose a bunch of debris and it just began eating away at the inside of his motor...

I am a firm believer in fuel cleaners/treatments ... but oil cleaner/detergents that scrub the inside of the motor clean... they flat out scare me...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same thing happens to people. You get fatty deposits in your oil passages, and then a chunk breaks loose. Next thing you know, your peeing yourself and can't remember who you are. They call that a stroke. Not a power stroke either. :rolleyes: Not a good thing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online