WHAT IS K.D.P.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few warnings and references to K.D.P.

What does this mean??

Why can't people be considerate and print out the whole words instead of insisting on using all these ridiculous initials all the time?? It would sure be a big help..

If I understand correctly, K.D.P. is something I should be aware of; but I need to know what it is.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Killer Dowel Pin.

>>> Click Here <<<

Basically you can see that it's a dowel pin that is locating the timing case/cover assembly. What happens is in some trucks the dowel pin will/can back out (rattle out) then it falls into the timing gears. Well the problem is amplified by the gears rotate in such a way that they can scoop up the dowel pin and jamb the pin between the gears. When this happens all heck breaks loose - read not good. It's a pretty easy item to take care of BEFORE it happens but it's a real pain in the pocket book when trying to recover from the event after the fact.

Mine's fixed... ;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey,,,MIDNIGHT RIDER,,
If the KDP applies to you, get on it man.:)
Like argve, or however you pronounce his name said,
It's a pretty easy item to take care of BEFORE it happens but it's a real pain in the pocket book when trying to recover from the event after the fact.
Here's some more info.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that a hole could be drilled and threaded through the cover such that when a bolt of appropriate length were screwed in the cover it would prevent the pin from walking out.

I assume this is how Mr. Strenkowski is doing this with his jig.

How can I obtain one of these jigs??

If I had access to a disassembled cover, I could make my own hole locating jig.

Thanks for all the good info.

MUDDY

Reaction score
the pin that makes contact w/ dowelpin goes into the case,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not the thin cover

harold bowers [email protected] makes the best jig for the kdp. he sells the complete kit, all ya need to do the job reasonable, but he would rather ya tab it especially if ya have a pre 97 as ya need to check them bolts and locktite em

MUDDY

Reaction score
if my memory is corrrect midnite rider,,,,,,,,,,,,,,u have a 1gen powerplant. the pin has a thicker chunk of alum case to wiggle thru than the 2gens. a bolt is just as likely to exit its hole than the dowl pin on the 1gens. just tab it, pull case bolts one by one and locktite. oil pump bolts, cam retention bolts etc. they didnt use locktite back then. the early 2gens have what appear to be some kind of brown thread sealant. imo trucks thru 96 tab em and check the bolts and locktite just to be safe

harold worked on a guys 1gen where the bolt fell out,,,,,,,,,,,,,broke camshaft in 3 places. ouch. worked on another 1gen where kdp came out. pita too :(

ive seen lots of kdps that have moved out and finger tite bolts on rigs less than 100 thousand miles. my 600,000 mile 92 the pin hadnt moved and all bolts were very tight. figger that one out :)

Diesel_Junkie

Reaction score
In my opinion, dont use the jig.... it is too easy to just pull the front timing cover and do it right.

I got lucky. I pulled the cover last week, to finally do my KDP maintenance, and when i did the pin fell out, it was shaved down on one side to about 70% of its origional diameter, and had been sitting on top of the crank gear. Luckily no real dammage.

I am glad i pulled the cover, because i found 2 cover bolts that could have been removed with finger torque, and 2 more inside the case with the same torque.

I am bummed though because i still have an oil leak comming from that general area, might be the case to block seal. That would be no fun to change.