What gears do I have?

ajd257

Reaction score
I cant find it listed anywhere on the truck (most likely due to me not knowing where to look) but anyway, At 70 mph in high gear the tach reads 2000rpm. tires are 235/85/r16.
Thanks, Andrew

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
3:73's or 3:55's. I have 4:10's and at 2000 RPM I'm doing 60 MPH. That does sound like 3:73's compared to my dad's '02. I think he's at the same RPM at that speed. I know these are completely diffrent trucks but I think that's close.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you have 3.55's, since 3.73's would have to have been aftermarket added. Chances are really good for the 3.55's. Whatever it is, I am jealous, 2000 rpms at 70, try 2400 now that is real RPM's.. Scotty

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
beretzs said:
I would say you have 3.55's, since 3.73's would have to have been aftermarket added. Chances are really good for the 3.55's. Whatever it is, I am jealous, 2000 rpms at 70, try 2400 now that is real RPM's.. Scotty
even with the gv scotty?
:puke:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
even with the gv scotty?
:puke:

Should have went with the 4.10's, when I originally did the swap, I went by the conversion calculators on all the 4x4 websites, well, they kinda overgear, so with my 4.56's and 37's tires, I have about a 4.10's direct drive ratio, whereas if I had of went with 4.10's and 37's I would have about a 3.73 1.1, so it would have been alot more pleasant on the highway, and with the GV's, I would still have the right gear to pull hills with all the RPM's I would need. I am nit picking a little, the truck pulls GREAT, and get around 15-16MPG day in and day out, so it is something to think about if you ever regear a diesel, don't over gear them, there torque is down low, so if you have the gears and power, stay with as long legs as you can. I should have actually saved the money I spent on gears and put it towards the GV's then decided what gears I wanted. Scotty

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Scotty,

I think the reason they over gear them is because most off road trucks are gassers and I know from my 4x4 days that I did probably 99% of my off roading at low rpms where the gasser does not build the bulk of it's power, especially when I got delusions of granjor and built a high RPM turner (big slobbering cam) that was over carb'd - but the upside was I had enough carb on her to be able to step down on her at 120mph

aaklingler

Reaction score
Another great way is to look at the sticker on your door jamb, whats it say under axle? As long as there original gears. I'm running about 1700 at 70 with my 285s. I'd guess you have 3.55s.
Hows vacation so far?

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Scotty,

I think the reason they over gear them is because most off road trucks are gassers and I know from my 4x4 days that I did probably 99% of my off roading at low rpms where the gasser does not build the bulk of it's power, especially when I got delusions of granjor and built a high RPM turner (big slobbering cam) that was over carb'd - but the upside was I had enough carb on her to be able to step down on her at 120mph

Yup, totally agree with you on that. It is not that I am totally overgeared and the truck is undriverable (if that is a word) but if I had of went with 4.10's or just kept the 3.55's I had originally, I probably would have had all the gears I needed with the GV's. Live and learn, I seem to learn the hard way all the time. The one benefit it the truck will pull about any hill it comes to and hardly ever have to take it Out of OD. It pulls like a train, but for economy, 4.10's would have been a little better. That is a huge benefit of the GV's. Always having the right gear.. Scotty

ajd257

Reaction score
Vacation is great!! no more classes and I love it, you??

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
There should be a tag attached to one of the diff cover bolts. It should start with something like " L355, L373, or L410" followed by some other numbers. The L signifies a limited slip rear & the next 3 digits will be the rear ratio. All of this is assumeing there are stock rears under your ride. The other way to figure it out is to put a piece of tape on the drive shaft, jack the rear wheels off the ground & spin the wheel 1 revolution while watching the drive shaft. However many times the driveshaft rotates with 1 complete turn of the wheel is your ratio. I don't remember who passed that tip on to me, but thanks, it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online

No members online now.