What did you do with your VW today?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Changed the fuel filter.
Last night driving around it started popping a code for low rail pressure. (Used carista to pull/clear code)
It would do it if you got on it fairly hard.
So after searching and searching, there were a few common causes. 1. The HPFP going bad. (Which was a big problem with these, but most were failing before 40k miles) 2. The rail pressure sensor. 3. The rail pressure regulator. 4. Clogged filter. Etc. Oh also these have 3 fuel pumps. The one in the tank, the HPFP, and a Auxiliary fuel pump mounted by the filter. I started hearing a buzzing before the light tripped and it was coming from the aux pump area. (Before I knew it was a fuel pump. Lol) I guess it was kicking in.
Beings we just drove 12 Hours the night before. I was thinking fuel filter. My wife said she stopped at a questionable station. (I was wore out and napping)
So today picked up a filter and some diesel klean, and planned to do some investigating.
Ended up just being the filter. Thing was bad. I'll get a pic uploaded.
I thought we had it changed not long ago. But I guess it's been awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not sure what algae looks like.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Started digging.err NOT a diesel.
Sorry

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I got my ALH mounted on the engine stand and got all the wiring off and labeled, along with all of the hoses and what not. Tomorrow I will pull accessories and the EGR cooler, maybe the intake and turbo as well but I'm undecided.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen some of the 4th gen VNT turbo's that come just turbo (not turbo/exhaust manifold) that I could get to work. Problem is then I have to do an exhaust manifold to get it to work, and then be limited by just one turbo, and cost. Decisions.

Got the turbo, intake, EGR cooler off. Also got alternator, PS pump, AC compressor off. Going to get it cleaned up this weekend so putting it in and out of the engine bay wont get me all greasy. Next big step is to get the 4.0SOHC out of the Explorer.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the driver's window fell into the door on Christmas Eve, I finally got the window regulator replaced today. ;Sweet I had jury-rigged the window up with tape to get me home from Los Angeles, so I didn't want to drive the car in wet weather...so, she'd been sitting for the last week or so. Nice to be able to drive her again :angel:

Door panel off; I was hoping I could prop the window up with a stick before I found the subframe and realized it wasn't practical to get in there:

The window completely removed for cleaning:

I didn't have any duct tape, so I borrowed some gaffer's tape from my uncle and used a plastic bag to protect the metal door frame. The gaffer's tape worked well and didn't leave any residue on the window ;Sweet

Plastic cable guide broken...I'm not sure if this breaking is what caused the problem, or if it's a symptom of something else going wrong. The cable's pretty well jammed up, though.

The guide on the other side on the old regulator:

And, one of the two guides on the new regulator. Big difference!

Also put an 850 CCA AGM battery in, and holy mackerel does the engine crank over faster now ;Sweet

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you go with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm a glutten for punishment.

Wifes driving a 2011 JSW TDI/DSG. 28K mile 1 owner car. B4V is going on the chopping block soon. Its nice not having to worry about fixing your wifes car all the time!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Cleaned it. But that's about a every Friday thing since I use it for Uber.
Also replaced the screws to the airbox as they were mostly all stripped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I replaced the springs/struts/shocks. After 13 years and 225k it was due. Went with Moog aftermarket springs and Bilsteins. All new hardware and accessories. Realized that lower control arm bushings need replacing - only a year old. Lifted the car up about 3" initially but settled to about 2". Firm ride. Springs are noisier than stock ones and I kept them just in case the rattle makes me go insane.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Last week I replaced the springs/struts/shocks. After 13 years and 225k it was due. Went with Moog aftermarket springs and Bilsteins. All new hardware and accessories. Realized that lower control arm bushings need replacing - only a year old. Lifted the car up about 3" initially but settled to about 2". Firm ride. Springs are noisier than stock ones and I kept them just in case the rattle makes me go insane.

I need to do that with my 04. At 256K now, and it needs shocks/struts.

I recently did an oil change in my 04, and also switched trans oil over to syncromesh (which got completely rid of my 1-2 shift grind). My 11 got a GDE Hot Tune, good power increase, 35mpg's before - 40mpg now).

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do mine over again, I'd stick with the springs that are on the vehicle if they're not cracked or broken. I think the Moogs are too stiff. The Bilsteins are nice though. Buy that strut spreader tool. You can do without the nut wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online