What are the symptoms of a bad power steering box?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine DEFINITELY has manual steering turning left, and a little bit of power assist turning right.
My front end is also completely trashed. Every u-joint is either loose or broken so it looks like I may have multiple factors working against me here. I want to fix this truck so damned bad I can taste it but cant tear into it until I get this stupid track bar bracket. So frustratiing! And to add insult to injury I tried to charge my AC today since its like a blast furnace here in memphis now and as soon as I pulled a vaccuum and started adding a can of freon the damn compressor locked up. I swear, if i wasn't so completely and utterly upside down in this truck I'd have given it away to someone on here by now as its so needy I couldn't in good faith take payment for the *******. And even worse is once I fix EVERYTHING thats wrong with it, its still only a $2500 truck. Sucks, but thats a Ford for ya.........love the engine, hate the truck.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, if you've got that rebound steering thing going on, then it's worn out. If you plan on keeping the truck, check out the REdhead steering gears. They cost about a hundred bucks more than what you will get at autozone, but, you also get a case full of real live bearings of top quality . They go in and replace any bushings and machine the casing out to accept a bearing and if a bearing is too small and wears too easily, they hog that out for a bigger one so the things will last. The steering is so smooth is like night and day.

I like Redhead boots ;Sweet

But seriously, Howe makes a blueprinted box, but I think they cost somewhere in the $500 neighborhood.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhaul has steering gears for 72.00, and it is the box bad mine also failed going left.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Mine DEFINITELY has manual steering turning left, and a little bit of power assist turning right.
My front end is also completely trashed. Every u-joint is either loose or broken so it looks like I may have multiple factors working against me here. I want to fix this truck so damned bad I can taste it but cant tear into it until I get this stupid track bar bracket. So frustratiing! And to add insult to injury I tried to charge my AC today since its like a blast furnace here in memphis now and as soon as I pulled a vaccuum and started adding a can of freon the damn compressor locked up. I swear, if i wasn't so completely and utterly upside down in this truck I'd have given it away to someone on here by now as its so needy I couldn't in good faith take payment for the *******. And even worse is once I fix EVERYTHING thats wrong with it, its still only a $2500 truck. Sucks, but thats a Ford for ya.........love the engine, hate the truck.

Don't feel bad, I probably hae over $15,000 in my truck and know all too well where you are coming from.:eek: I can only say that my truck is what I would choose from almost any lineup. I like the ease of wrenching on it, the dash and interior layout, no computers and so on. I can only hope there comes a time where I get a length of trouble free miles.:angel: Ten years out of any $15000 truck is ok by me. My $15,000 rig is just a tad older than most:rolleyes:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goose, I have about the same in mine and would do it again without hesitation.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Well looks like I need to order a gear box! My truck wanders so much, it's almost scary to drive....a couple potholes will give you white knuckles when approaching on coming traffic!

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
My "bad box":eek::rolleyes: had power steering turning right but manual turning left. I replaced the pump first but it wound up being the box.

Thats how my box started to go bad. The truck fell into a huge hole dug by some varmint. It spun the wheel to the left so fast i couldnt hold on, then crack! No more power steering to the left. :D

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Just looked at the odometer, I guess 287,389 miles isn't too bad on the original box:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online