Well here I go...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if youre switching to e-fuel, I would also be looking at the 99+ hpop reservoir and fuel bowl to do it cheaply.

I have the 99 to rob parts from but I know this 94 runs so I'll run its HPOP until it dies then switch over to the SD.

Is there really much to gain from the OBS to SD HPOP?

And I'll be running my own fuel system. Probably just do the "tight ***" mod to the factory regulator for now and shim it to 60-65 psi.

So far I am just under $1200 in this whole swap project.

That includes parts truck, o-rings, wiring harness, exhaust, intake, intercooler, clutch kit, ZF-5, hydroboost, and other little odds and ends.

As of now it's taken parts from 6 trucks to build this one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hpop's are different degrees, but the gasket is expensive!
almost 80 bucks from ford.
I vote to leave the hpop on, but use the reservoir from the 99,
use the gasket without the mesh strainer, the 97 and prior front covers do not accept the mesh strainer gasket.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If he's not touching the reservoir, no reason to change the gasket.
The newer gasket works on the older engines. Also, DON'T GO TO FORD FOR THE GASKET. $80 BUCKS? YOU KIDDING ME?!?
Hpop gasket $23 http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/high-pressure-oil-pump-mounting-gasket-96-03/
Reservoir gasket with screen $13.50
Without screen $6.92
And personally I see no reason at all to run the SD reservoir.

You won't gain much by going to the SD hpop. Minor differences.
You will have to swap the anti drain back valve around in the hpop to run the SD version. Which isn't a big deal, if gonna swap it, get one from Corey@cncfab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reservoir gasket with screen, will not work on the 97 and earlier front covers. been there done that.
the gasket "housing" is different.
on the inside of the housing on the 99+'s do not have a lip where the screen goes
no, the HPOPs bolt on underneath the res. I say swap res, to use the 99+ fuel bowl

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The dead headed design is crap. Lol

And no, they don't have to be changed together.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree whit jasper, I'm not a fan of the design of the dead head system. I'll stick with a regulated return and better/ cheaper CAT fuel filters.

Isn't there something about a drain back in the res is different on 94&95 trucks? That's why I was asking about swapping the reservoir when installing the newer style HPOP.

Also remember this isn't a performance build. Maybe 300 horse and reliable is all I want.

250-280 would make me real happy too and I think i maybe able to get that with a good fuel system, open exhaust, big air filter and intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes and no.
I'm running a sd 17° on my 94. No mods on my end.
This.
"CNC FABRICATION 7.3L STAGE 1 HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP CNC-7.3-HPOP-SGT1

EXCEEDS OEM VOLUME AND PRESSURE. THESE PUMPS GO THROUGH RIGOROUS BENCH TESTING AND IF THEY DO NOT MEET MIMINUM 5GPM + THEY ARE TORN BACK DOWN AND GONE THROUGH AGAIN. TYPICALLY THESE PUMP WILL PRODUCE 5.1-5.6GPM WHICH IS PLENTY ENOUGH VOLUME TO SUSTAIN 250/100 HYBRID INJECTORS. WE DO NOT LIST THIS PUMP AS AN AFTERMARKET HIGH PERFORMANCE PUMP, BUT IT WILL INDEED SUPPORT CERTAIN PERFORMANCE INJECTORS. IT WILL NOT SUPPORT LARGER A OR B CODE INJECTORS THOUGH. ALSO COMES WITH A NEW ALLIANT POWER GASKET

PLEASE SELECT THE YEAR OF TRUCK IN THE DROP-DOWN MENU TO BE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT PUMP, AS THE 94.5-95 TRUCKS HAVE A DIFFERENT FRONT ENGINE COVER, AND ALSO HAVE THE ANTI-DRAIN BACK IN THE PUMP, UNLIKE THE ANTI-DRAIN BACK FOR THE 96-03 IS IN THE ENGINE BLOCK, THE 94.5-97 PUMPS UTILIZE JIC FITTINGS, AND THE E99-03 PUMPS USE THE STC STYLE FITTINGS.

NOTE: WE HAVE THE OBS AND E99 HPOP FITTED WITH A 17* SWASH PLATE TOO FOR SLIGHTLY MORE VOLUME LIKE THE L99-03 SUPERDUTY TRUCKS."

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a couple month break on working on the truck. Finally got back to it the last few evenings, hope to be one the road with it by Friday. I got hay to haul and my "temporary beater truck" ( 87 f250 300-6 4 speed) just ain't gunna cut it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

What a beast! I've never owned a truck that will pull and haul like this thing. I didn't plan on it, and I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I think I might be in the market for a tuner.

That 500 gallon tank I was hauling with liquid fertilizer weighed about 6000lbs+trailer+truck= about 15k. I was holding 50MPH up Penn View mountain and the factory dummy gauge never got past "normal". Hard to get use to when you had to keep all eyes glued to gauges with an IDI.

Still a few things to do like move the rear axle, install west coast mirrors, air bags, and a working radio would be nice too.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you add a tuner, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. If you think it pulls good now, you'll be amazed. I did the hydra and it's great even with stock injectors.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you add a tuner, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. If you think it pulls good now, you'll be amazed. I did the hydra and it's great even with stock injectors.

Got any more info on it? I'm a little hesitant since the engine has 249k on it but inside was very clean with way less wear than I expected so it should be able to hold up to a little more fuel.

I got a nice open intake and a 3" dp to 4" straight pipe. Needs more fuel! Then I can install my intercooler and add more fuel again!

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 256k on mine when I added it. No negative results so far. Got 13.6 mpg pulling travel trailer ms to la so pretty flat.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well dig this one back up.

I've put about 6k miles on the truck so far and it has done me well except I started getting a cold miss and lots of grey smoke.

Baby swamp injectors and a hydra tuner will be here in a week or so. I'm a bit excited to see how she runs afterwards

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller