Waste gate dumping???

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the 6.0. Have had IDI and 7.3 psd for quit some time now. I got me a 2004 F-250 Harley Davidson edition 6.0 psd this fall. Well takin care of and originally from Florida. An issue has come up the past few weeks but only with bed empty and nothing in tow, and at low rpms... it acts as though all the boost gets dumped (in quick spurts of 4 or 5 blasts back through the clean air intake) before it does this you can hear the turbo kind of surging up and down or boosting oddly. I can put like 10k behind it on a trailer and it doesn't do this. It also doesn't seem to do it unloaded as long as I run with the tow/haul button on. I know I should start by scanning the cpu, but I haven't had time to get somewhere to have it checking during business hours yet. Does this problem sound familure to anyone? Or has anyone heard of an issue like this? Oil cooler is new (factory cooler, dealer installed), oil and filter new (motorcraft filter), both fuel filters are new (motorcraft), and air filter is new.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
These are VGT turbo's, no wastegate. Does it happen when you let off the throttle quickly? Sounds like sticky veins to me. I would give it hell and try to get all the carbon out if the turbo. Otherwise you gotta pull it an actually clean it. Carbon builds up and won't let the veins move easily.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
And that might be a symptom of what some people call 'well taken care of'. If that means that they drove it once a month to get groceries....your turbo is probably gunked up like all hell.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Does it while driving around between 1600 to 2100 rpms I'd say, only while light on the throttle. If you get on it its fine, or if hauling a good bit of weight its fine, only seems to do it when its not being worked. Occasionally it will kind of fall on its face if you try to stand on it when it does this. How hard and what all kind of gaskets/o-rings would I need to take this thing apart to clean it up? Do they sell a gasket kit I would need? Thanks fordguy100 I didn't know if they were gated, just sounded to me like it was by what I was hearing.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
another question would be.....is it something to do with the turbo and the veins or is the computer de-fueling. the de-fuel doesn't make much sense but is something to read up on and possibly investigate.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Thank you 94idi! Haven't heard of the de-fueling thing but I'll do a little reading on it. And I thought the 7.3 was confusing to go to after the 6.9idi, then I go to the 6.0...lol

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you right now to stop speculating. The turbocharger VGT vanes in the exhaust housing are sticking. The 'chuff" sounds you are hearing from your intake are the vanes sticking, then moving. The reason it is only happening at low rpms while unloaded, is that your oil driven VGT solenoid is commanding just the right voltage for the vanes to stick.

Now, to tell you how to possibily, and I really mean possibly, as I have only got a few trucks turbos fixed doing this, is to pull the tubo off, open the exhaust housing, and clean your rust build up in the housing on the face the vanes ride. Ford claims the vanes stick because of "oil coaking" witch is a crock of poop. They stick from crappy metals that corrode. The duramax used this same turbo with different metals in the exhaust housing and had far less failures then the 6.0

So long story short, turbo issue, fix it, by cleaning the exhaust side of the turbo, replacing the turbo, or ignore it and just keep driving, it may clear up and never happen again, it may get worse, have the vanes stick, and cause your truck to have no power.

p.s. the 5r110 is one of the best transmissions Ford has ever made.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Well I cleaned it up this weekend and so far so so good! It "coughed" twice on the first drive to work real quickly, other then that has been flawless and seems to be working correctly. And has a ton more power. I think some much needed fuel conditioning should clear up anything else. Now I'd just like to get rid of that stupid cat, that would probably help out tremendously!!!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I can tell you right now to stop speculating. The turbocharger VGT vanes in the exhaust housing are sticking. The 'chuff" sounds you are hearing from your intake are the vanes sticking, then moving. The reason it is only happening at low rpms while unloaded, is that your oil driven VGT solenoid is commanding just the right voltage for the vanes to stick.

Now, to tell you how to possibily, and I really mean possibly, as I have only got a few trucks turbos fixed doing this, is to pull the tubo off, open the exhaust housing, and clean your rust build up in the housing on the face the vanes ride. Ford claims the vanes stick because of "oil coaking" witch is a crock of poop. They stick from crappy metals that corrode. The duramax used this same turbo with different metals in the exhaust housing and had far less failures then the 6.0

So long story short, turbo issue, fix it, by cleaning the exhaust side of the turbo, replacing the turbo, or ignore it and just keep driving, it may clear up and never happen again, it may get worse, have the vanes stick, and cause your truck to have no power.

p.s. the 5r110 is one of the best transmissions Ford has ever made.

So can the duramax turbo be used on the 6.0 without a lot of adaptation?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yes, Mad Turbo Werks actually have/had a turbo called the durastroke turbo. was a modded LB7 VGT iirc for use with the 6.0l. that is all i know about it though. i would say to stick with the 6.0l turbo though. now that you cleaned it, give it regular itallian tune ups and you will be good.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
yes, Mad Turbo Werks actually have/had a turbo called the durastroke turbo. was a modded LB7 VGT iirc for use with the 6.0l. that is all i know about it though. i would say to stick with the 6.0l turbo though. now that you cleaned it, give it regular itallian tune ups and you will be good.

It has a duramax compressor wheel, the rest is standard 6.0 VGT turbo. Mad turbo's are pretty awesome, I must say.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up Justin. The only thing with the MTW turbos are they are remans for the price of new.......you send yours in and it get's rebuild and modded. i like what i have seen from MTW, but honestly i would rather buy new rather than get a refurb.......

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Update to my thread:

Though initially I believed the turbo cleaning worked (it definitely helped a great deal though!), the problem did not completely go away. It has been back to the same and sometimes worse conditions. With all that I have learned about these creatures since last fall when I purchased it, I have it narrow to (I believe) the FICM. The only other possible is the egr as I have not gotten to the delete stage yet. Is there a possibility that the FICM just needs reprogramming? This seems to be a pretty good sign of a "bad" FICM for the way mine is acting. Though it is only doing it sometimes instead of all the time like a bad FICM. Does anyone know if its possible that mine just needs reprogramming with the newer better programs to get rid of a glitch maybe? Wanna try it but would like feedback if anyone has had this symptom and has fixed it before I spend a lot of money on trial and error. Pretty sure the repramming would do it myself, but if the FICM needs to be replaced and not just reprogammed I would hate to spend a lot of money programming and then spend it on a new FICM and programming because the FICM was actually failing.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invest in a scangaugeII, you need to be able to see what the computer sees to be able to diagnose a 6.0. What makes you think you have a bad FICM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online