Wanting to pick up a Ford Excursion.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oasis report? I am hearing that almost every 6.0 will have a head issue.

Also, with the EGR delete, don't you need to add a tune so the computer knows to by pass it or let it know its not there anymore? Won't you be pulling codes if you don't have a tune?

I know of more that haven't had issues (and are worked hard) than that do have issues. Some even have pretty decent tunes. It has a bad rap because the percentage of issues was much higher than average, but i bet that percentage is still much lower than perceived. Still, personally I would bulletproof cause I don't like bad surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
EGR delete if in a non inspected state otherwise, grab an aftermarket EGR cooler, new oil cooler(comes with updated metal mesh HPOP sump screen), coolant filter kit, ARP studs and Ford OEM head gaskets.
Excellent show of head gasket failure due to the lack of clamping bolts.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 166

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of more that haven't had issues (and are worked hard) than that do have issues. Some even have pretty decent tunes. It has a bad rap because the percentage of issues was much higher than average, but i bet that percentage is still much lower than perceived. Still, personally I would bulletproof cause I don't like bad surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, they are MANY 6.0's out there that have not hand any problems. Mine is one of them. But, I believe there are several contributing factory of why mine, and many others have not had issues....

Mine (an 03) was bought new by an older couple. It was their tow vehicle. It had ~65,000 miles on it when I bought it 2007. I have all the paperwork from the couple of repairs from the original owner. They had to have the Stereo repaired, and had a couple of coolant leaks fixed. (Not EGR related) Also, in the owners manual, the recommended service schedule, has all the miles when each service interval was performed. EVERYTHING was serviced when it should have been, according to the book.

When I bought it, it had a set of tires put on it before it left the dealer. (This was going to be my "family car" and the tires did not fit that status... they were the factory BFG's with 65,000+ miles). It also had a noise in the front end that was "fixed". The dealer said it was ball joints, and replaced them. Actually the noise is the sway bar end links that attach to the frame behind the front axle. I actually still need to replace them.... it is an annoyance not a safety/drivieability issue.

In the 7.5 years that I've owned this truck, I've replaced:

Batteries/Alternator. Had an issues with the batteries, and they took out the alt. Then I had trouble with the replacements (rebuilds), now have a new replacement on it, and been good for several years.
All brake pads
Had to have the FICM repaired due to the battery/alternator issue. Low voltage will KILL the FICM
The Water Pump, coolant and serpentine belt. Pump started to rumble, so it was replaced.
Batteries, again. The 6.0 is ******* batteries, and most owners don't get over 3 years on a set.
The ICP Sensor (Thanks RON!!!!)

I've done an EGR Delete due to a coolant leak. The EGR Cooler was NOT LEAKING, the supply tube to the cooler was leaking into the valley and off the back of the engine. The proper fix was to remove the EGR Cooler to replace the supply tube, so I decided at this point, if it was coming off, it was not going back on.

There had NOT been a tuner on this truck...... and never will be. - I think this is a HUGE thing.....

At 143,000 miles, I still have the factory turbo, head gaskets, head bolts, and all the other parts it was put together with in 2003 at the Navistar plant here in Indianapolis.

It's had the oil changed at 5,000 miles with GOOD oil and Motorcraft Filter. The fuel filters at 10,000 mile with Motorcraft filters. I am now running Chevron DELO 5-W40 Full Synthetic oil.

I am extremely happy with this truck, and would buy another 6.0 without hesitation. It has been my daily driver of a 60 mile a day round trip and I get 15-17 in my mixed commute. I have seen as high as 21 on a long road trip.

Grab a 6.0, drive the wheels off it.... and if it does have an issue. Fix it, or if it can be made batter, do it and NEVER worry about it again. I have no plans on getting rid of this truck.... EVER!!!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Anytime Scott! Thanks for assembling the peanut gallery for that too by the way. LOL

The key importance to any 6.0L is religious fluid changes and maintenance.
Injectors, HPOP's and lifters don't fair well with dirtier than dirty oil especially if the've been flogged on.
Hence my lasted basket case in the Dog Catcher Garage.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't assemble the gallery. I think that waz Jason, Darrin uor Trav. We did have a good audience.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaggy,

I would look for what you want, then get an OASIS report from Ford. See what has been done to the truck. If it looks good, I would do an EGR Delete and just drive it. Mine only has an EGR Delete, everything else is factory. Before you put a tuner on it, drive it stock fof awhile, you might be surprised. Travis, yes Mr. Enterprise has driven mine several times, and to this day still says hs eez no reason to tur up. No tuner goes along way to not having issues on a stock engine.

6.0 Powerstrokes don't need studs, they need to be diagnosed and fixed correctly. Almost everything you need to know about buying one can be found from the Oasis report, and/or monitoring with a tuner to see what your temperature delta is. If you can find a 6.0 that has a reasonable temperature delta that nobody has turned up, I think you can do an EGR delete and an oil cooler/coolant swap and get a very dependable and very powerful (+50-100hp over stock) Excursion.

Get into one that has been driven for a long time with a bad EGR and/or a plugged oil cooler resulting in some head gasket issues, and you can definitely sign up for a some torturous maintenance that will make you hate your life. Do some research before you buy one. Keep in mind that pulling the heads on an Excursion is far more involved (read expensive) than any of the OBS stuff. If you are careful, you can find a good 6 liter.

Good luck.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, they are MANY 6.0's out there that have not hand any problems. Mine is one of them. But, I believe there are several contributing factory of why mine, and many others have not had issues....

Mine (an 03) was bought new by an older couple. It was their tow vehicle. It had ~65,000 miles on it when I bought it 2007. I have all the paperwork from the couple of repairs from the original owner. They had to have the Stereo repaired, and had a couple of coolant leaks fixed. (Not EGR related) Also, in the owners manual, the recommended service schedule, has all the miles when each service interval was performed. EVERYTHING was serviced when it should have been, according to the book.

When I bought it, it had a set of tires put on it before it left the dealer. (This was going to be my "family car" and the tires did not fit that status... they were the factory BFG's with 65,000+ miles). It also had a noise in the front end that was "fixed". The dealer said it was ball joints, and replaced them. Actually the noise is the sway bar end links that attach to the frame behind the front axle. I actually still need to replace them.... it is an annoyance not a safety/drivieability issue.

In the 7.5 years that I've owned this truck, I've replaced:

Batteries/Alternator. Had an issues with the batteries, and they took out the alt. Then I had trouble with the replacements (rebuilds), now have a new replacement on it, and been good for several years.
All brake pads
Had to have the FICM repaired due to the battery/alternator issue. Low voltage will KILL the FICM
The Water Pump, coolant and serpentine belt. Pump started to rumble, so it was replaced.
Batteries, again. The 6.0 is ******* batteries, and most owners don't get over 3 years on a set.
The ICP Sensor (Thanks RON!!!!)

I've done an EGR Delete due to a coolant leak. The EGR Cooler was NOT LEAKING, the supply tube to the cooler was leaking into the valley and off the back of the engine. The proper fix was to remove the EGR Cooler to replace the supply tube, so I decided at this point, if it was coming off, it was not going back on.

There had NOT been a tuner on this truck...... and never will be. - I think this is a HUGE thing.....

At 143,000 miles, I still have the factory turbo, head gaskets, head bolts, and all the other parts it was put together with in 2003 at the Navistar plant here in Indianapolis.

It's had the oil changed at 5,000 miles with GOOD oil and Motorcraft Filter. The fuel filters at 10,000 mile with Motorcraft filters. I am now running Chevron DELO 5-W40 Full Synthetic oil.

I am extremely happy with this truck, and would buy another 6.0 without hesitation. It has been my daily driver of a 60 mile a day round trip and I get 15-17 in my mixed commute. I have seen as high as 21 on a long road trip.

Grab a 6.0, drive the wheels off it.... and if it does have an issue. Fix it, or if it can be made batter, do it and NEVER worry about it again. I have no plans on getting rid of this truck.... EVER!!!!!

Why wouldn't you put a tuner on it? I haven't looked, but have you posted up pics of your Excursion on here somewhere?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Shaggy,

The reason that I wouldn't put a tuner on it is:

When IH/Ford put the 7.3PSD in the pickups, it was still "derated" a decent bit for longevity. The 7.3 was, I think 225 or 235 Hp from the factory, and I think IH ran them under that in the medium duty trucks. Owners would put a tuner on a 7.3 and turn them up 50, 75 or even 100 hp. Since the engines still had "capacity" they took the tune fairly well. Ford took not of this, and with the other 2 bumping up HP/TQ numbers, Ford did the same with the 6.0. The 6.0 was put in the trucks at 325 hp.... IH kept the VT365 in the 250 range I believe. So the 6.0 in Ford trim was "turned up" from the factory. Owners would then put a tuner on them, just like the 7.3 and turn them up, in stock form 50, 75 or 100+ HP. The engine didn't have a much "overhead" for turning it up, and many owners would blow the heads off the engine, and then cry they were junk...... no you broke it. This is not the only thing, as there were some growing pains, and those have been well documented over the years.

With my truck, at the stock 325HP / 590 TQ from the factory has been more than enough to do everything that I have wanted it to do. It has pulled everything that I've hooked to its butt very well, and at the posted speed limit without struggling. This towing has been everything from a 1000lb garden tractor on a 5x8 flatbed, to several different "car trailers", a U-Haul big box trailer, my 21' Coachmen Travel Trailer (heavy for its size) and even a 2500 Extended Cab Cummins on a relatively heavy equipment trailer. I get decent mileage, and can get on the interstate with a trailer, set the cruise and just drive. I don't have to watch all the gauges, or worry I am going to burn it down, or blow it up.

I do actually own a tuner (got a good deal from an acquaintance and I wanted it mainly to pull codes). I actually tried it, ONCE. It was on the truck less than 5 minutes. I hooked it up, put it on "medium" and was sitting at a stop sign. I nailed the throttle, and everything jumped off of and out of the dash, and I was across the intersection before I could say "OH S**T" and pull my foot off the throttle. I personally don't need that kind of power, and that helps the engine to live a long healthy life.

I know you weren't here "back in the day" when Travis (agrve) was trying to squeeze the first Enterprise for everything it had, and more. He had a really Hot Pump on it, and on the last engine (yes there were more than one) he was injecting Washer Fluid in at an alarming rate (15 gallons in a few hours at the rally he was at)...... He then had a "turned up" 12v P-Pump Cummins that would play with Vettes and other sports cars... it would whip a stock Mustang or Camaro. I bought my truck, and he was surprised by the power it had, and how well the package was put together. One of his first statements after driving it for a while was, I don't see any reason to turn this one up...... this is the level I was trying to get the Enterprise to........

I am extremely happy with my truck the it is. It has taken me everywhere I have asked it, everytime I've asked it. Yes, there are things that have been replaced, but I don't think my list is unreasonable. It is my "family car" (We have 5 kids) and I would not hesitate to drive them anywhere in this truck. I have left it alone, just for the simple fact, it works well the way it is (for us anyway) and it has been very reliable. I figure, why change a good thing......

As for pictures, here you go...

Attachments

• Photo0625.jpg
    Photo0625.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo0624.jpg
    Photo0624.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo0623.jpg
    Photo0623.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 11
  • P8250060.JPG
    P8250060.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 11
  • P8250057.JPG
    P8250057.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 12
  • P8250062.JPG
    P8250062.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 11
  • P8250063.JPG
    P8250063.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 13

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, I am not looking to race it either, I just want it to go another 200k miles and have decent fuel milage. If I don't have to get that from added new head bolts or a tune, I'll be fine with that.

What do you get for MPGs on yours Scott?

I am looking at the 04s and 05s. Need to fine one at a decent price as this isn't going to be our family car or my main ride. Mainly for long trips with the family, scout outings, and towing a few things here and there when with the family.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
For my mixed commute, (30 miles one way, about 10 miles on county roads, then about 15 miles on the interstate, and then the last few on city streets) I get 15 -17, depending on summer or winter fuel...... On the road solo, I've gotten 21, but average just below that. Towing, drops it into the lower teens. For as big as it is, it doesn't do bad......

I wouldn't worry about head gaskets or studs when you buy it. But, if you did have to change them, you wouldn't have to touch them for a long time....

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need(want) to pick one up. Just need to find the right one for the right price. Been looking for a few weeks now. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just glanced through CL in my neck of the woods. there's quite a few up for sale.
what are your search and price parameters?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want it to be a diesel, have the 2nd row buckets, color should be grey, black. Not have over 200k miles and would like to be around $15k but could go higher if the truck is worth it.

Post up the links when you see them.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am still wanting to get one. I think I found one I want but its in Florida and I am in Arizona. How do you all feel about buying something site unseen when it looks to be in great condition in the pics. It claims to be already bullet proofed and also only has 86k miles on it. I like it, but I am not sure I would want to fly all the way to Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online