ve injection pump ??

odee

Reaction score
Hello folks new to this site. Have read around on here and found some answers to some issues that are in front me on my swap. I have put a 89-90 model 5.9 cummins from a dodge in my 86 gmc crewcab dually. I drove the donor dodge home when purchaced. The injection pump leaking some, guy had a bucket rigged up to catch leak said it took about three weeks to fill up. Now it has been about 8 months since working on swap and other things pump is pouring fuel out now. I have another pump from the same era. This pump was taken off engine without the pump being locked down on the side with the u shaped washer being removed and without being at 1tdc. The keyway is at the top. So that being the history can I install said pump on my engine with the keyway up? Or does pump have to go in shop to be timed? I have done a few gm 6.2-6.5 pumps without any issue. thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
if you look at the shaft coming out of the pump u will see a line in the pump housing. Most VE pumps have a key way that keys to the shaft itself. If you line the keyway slot on the shaft to this said line on the housing you will be at tdc. Honestly really doesnt matter where the pump is at as long as you have it keyd to the gear. And the gear is timed correctly to the cam gear

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
why dont you just seal up the pump u have? A seal kit is on the cheaper side. My guess is its coming out of the throttle shaft

odee

Reaction score
the pump was leaking when I got the truck it came out of took awhile to get the swap into the chevy done. Now it seems to be leaking somewhat every where. Majority of it seems to be coming from the head to the pump casing. I will try this other pump know that I know that I will be okay with the key turned to the top. thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
did you see my write up i did when i rebuild my VE pump... Its a sticky here. Worth taking a look.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out the pumps on my 93 cummins w/o timing them ... the keyway is the only timing required .. just dont let the gear jump a tooth when you pull out the pump .. then you have to fine tune the timing with the slotted mounting holes ... can make a lot of difference ...

odee

Reaction score
got the pump in, had to ease the key in. Once everything was turned right it just slid into place. Now to find time to start the put back together process. thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online