two questions out there for the IDI owners

Brennsky

Reaction score
These may be stupid questions to ask but Theoretically speaking just to get a better idea of how many IDI owners there are out there that would be thrilled to be able to just buy the prechambers themselves instead of buying the remanufactured heads, How many IDI owners would be interested/comfortable with buying new Prechambers of a slightly different alloy/material that can hold up the same or possibly better than the inconell OEM ones ? Second has anyone ventured into having custom made prechambers for their IDI diesels or other Diesels

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, they're hard to find, but you can buy the pre-cup by itself.
I don't think there's much in the way of making custom/modified ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Brennsky

Reaction score
Im new here on this website and i made the mistake of posting twice, no i didnt look at the stickies, and eventually i would manufacture and sell them if i can confirm a demand for them, i dont have anything setup at the moment but in time i will to produce them, I am trying to figure out how much of a market base would be interested in prechambers being made so i dont waste my time investing for nothing if i did make them, I am a 7.3l IDI owner and i recognize the 6.9l IDI utilizes a similar precup as well and they all seem to have one major issue(cracking), i couldnt seem to find any sold where i live locally or on the web, i am quite suprised to hear of them for sale at this point

Brennsky

Reaction score
I dont know to much about the GM diesel line but i suppose it would be worth looking into as well for production, I have done extensive reading into applications of different alloys including inconel and it appears to me that they are using the alloy 713c inconel which is casted first and then machined later, the enviroment they operate in is a high thermal shock enviroment and from what i can tell 713c inconel isnt the greatest at handling immediate thermal shock which happens as the injector sprays wet fuel on the hot precup in the process of combustion, although it retains a very hard tensile strength for prolonged periods of heat the thermal shock seems to be what kills it, i have tig welded the inconel precups adding high nickel content to them and they seem fine now after the high amount of nickel, they say the exhaust temperature gets up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit tops, but that doesnt mean the precups are at that heat, i was going to figure they would be around or a little higher in temperature than the coolant temp, there are many stainless steel alloys which can handle high heat/stress /thermal shock applications and resist intergranular corrosion as well as scaling in the long run of thermal cycles, i need to do testing but if my calculations are right it looks like i could replace the expensive inconel precups that constantly crack with a much more stable metal, but tbh there is only one way to find out so i have to do testing, let me know what you guys think i would like to hear some input from you all

Brennsky

Reaction score
the best thing you can do is eliminate the precups and go direct injection :D

There is a possibility of making that happen, that would be interesting to see, i would take a guess that the injectors would need to make their own spray pattern as well as compensating for the 21.5:1 compression ratio with a higher pressure injection pump and then timing of the injection

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while were at it, lets eliminate the injection pump too

Brennsky

Reaction score
yeah thinking about it, that 21.5 compression ratio would have to change, i imagine the engine would run really rough as direct injection

Brennsky

Reaction score
yeah camshaft position sensor would do the trick, i was hoping to hear more people interested in new precups but it would seem no ones really interested, clb mentioned something about a vendors forum

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could a pre-cup be made to be more open making more space in the head, and dropping the compression ratio just a little bit for those wanting to run higher boost numbers? I dunno if it's possible or not but just a thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online