Two banks turbos... which to use first

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents.
So I have two banks non wastegated turbo kits. they have two different turbos.
I am going to have them both rebuilt due to shaft play. the one that has the banks name on it has a little bit of play, but the rotomaster has a bit more play in it.

Does anyone here know if the rotomaster came from banks?
Is one turbo better than the other?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am new to turbos and I need some advice.

Should I get these turbos rebuilt (save one as a backup) or should I get a wastegated turbo?

I have the old banks turbo intake box (actually have two very used kits, both non wastegated) but I would like to eliminate it and put a fmic.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Banks used Rotomaster turbos on they're early kits.
Typ4 did the compressor mod on mine and it made a huge difference in boost starting right off idle and easily peg my 15 lb. boost gauge.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first gen banks on the 88 would build boost at 1500 up,
Empty, but I bought this for pulling grades.

My ats 093 kit on the 93 will do the same, the wastegate is tricky to finness at max boost\egt. Pyro or not, but for pulling the n.g. banks held its balls till ya lifted.
If I was driving by pyro solely,,, I would go n.g. ..
For d.d duty the w.g. unit works well spool it and go.
Hope this helps add to the dozen threads here on the subject(I dought it adds nadda)
Cb out.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess a better question would be
Is there a significant benifit to a wastegated turbo over a non wastegated turbo? / is there a major draw back to a non wastegated turbo?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok, this is talking about stock (unmodified) turbos. The wastegated one will build boost at lower rpms. This helps while driving/towing around town. It also has a smaller exhaust turbine/housing which helps build boost quicker. On the other hand, the wastegate causes it to max out on boost before the engine reaches full rpms. The smaller housing also is more restrictive and causes the turbo add more heat into the boosted air. If you add an intercooler, it will help by cooling off the hotter air, on either type of turbo. Now for me, I'm glad that I will be installing my Typ4 modified non wastegated Banks soon. I live in a rural area. Probably 95% or more of my towing will be on the highway. I will appreciate the lower egt's from the larger housing and my intercooler. What little towing I'll do around town, I'll just have to live with it either way. Since it's been modified, I doubt that I'll lose much to a wastegated turbo. Also I no longer feel that I have to be the first one to the next stoplight. Put me on the highway, and I don't let much grass grow under my tires!

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not building a race truck :peelout,I don't even want it to be quick :thumbsup:.
I just need efficient, reliable power and 4x4.

I will definitely research this type4 modified banks turbo. is this something I need to have sent out or can I get the parts and have my turbo shop install/mod?

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just contacted typ4 on the website provided in a separate post.
I would love to get advice on what to do and hopefully send in my turbos.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The search button and stickies are for sure the best resource available ...
A plus is it will stop you asking russ and mel or jason repeated baseline questions, then you will already know most of what you want.

The intercooler threads are top shelf stuff!

And the 4" diamond eye pipe, and 3" downtube, and heck.......

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats up with the red X over the pic avatar???
Another cursed fotofukkit pic?

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you will need to send Typ4 your turbo. He does some machining to it.
I have connected him since researching. Im looking to get at least one turbo rebuilt, a custom intake hat and some return lines.
I'm still doing my homework and figuring things out as this is new territory for me. I'm definitely excited for the turbo revamp/transformation.

Still not sure weather or not to make a fmic or to have the turbo feed into a ats style intake hat. I don't know if one is better for the non wastegated turbo.