Turbo

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i found a used turbo kit, the guy wants 300 bucks for it, it is complete except for one the exhaust pipes. It is in unknown condition. Its a banks non wastegated. Is this a good deal? Would it be possible to do a turbo rebuild myself or with the assistance of a good mechanic?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
exhaust can be easily fabricated, say you'll have about $100-150 in the custom down pipe, and to have the crossover pipe custom made, I'd say anywhere from $50-200. I cant remember how banks had their crossover and up pipe made, but the crossover into up pipe is where it would get expensive if you had to have that made as well.
Turbo's are delicate pieces of equipment, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to rebuild one. If the wheels are damaged and it has "in-out" play then I'd junk the center cartridge and get a new or reman one from banks. If you get a new or reman CHRA, it'll already be assembled, and all you'll have to do is install the housings onto the cartridge.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe there is only 1 exhaust pipe missing, not sure which one, he doesnt know. But is 300 a good price, im thinking it is right?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
VERY GOOD, so long as all the other required parts are there, and double check before you hand over the dough. GO SNATCH IT UP, before someone else here buys it out from under ya.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It will cost less than a complete kit and You can build Your own pipes for more performance. If You need a rebuild then You'll have a near new turbo so for the money there is no loss. You can also buy mine and it doesn't need a rebuild :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good price and I can help you with the rebuild if you wish, also you have a good turbo shop down near LA, well up, to you.LOL

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend that owns a diesel performance shop down here in san diego. So if i can get my paws on this thing, i will try my hardest ill have to show up and see what we can do and what he recommends. cross your fingers hope i can get it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would buy it. I paid $620 for mine and it wound up needed a $450 overhaul before I could throw it on. It was in need of a new compressor wheel and a turbo bearing and seals kit.

tractorman86

Reaction score
BUY IT!!!!! just make sure the cartrige isn't trashed
i've got $720 into mine and it isn't quite a complete setup. 100 for a used turbo, 570 for a very therough rebuild and coating on the exh side, and 50 for the snail. which by the way russ it came it and looks great thanks man!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online