Turbo Woes

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo apparently blew up this morning. its a factory turbo... BJ wants to know what size it is and where can we find a rebuild kit?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These folks rebuilt my Banks unit and were significantly cheaper than anyone else in town.

Majestic Turbo
1000 South Wildwood Drive Suite 10
Irving, TX 75060
972-579-3083

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with a little hunting, you shoud be able to find a local rebuilder. this is an item you should not be doing yourself outside of the R&R. If you can't locate a rebuilder, I do have a friend of mime who does rebuilds out here in CA.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. About how much are we looking at to get it rebuilt, anyone have an idea?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that will depend on how badly it got hurt. usually starts at $200. If the hard parts are damaged, the sky is the limit.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yay..... ok thanks for the #'s guess i have some stuff to look into today when i get off work!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanya, what were the symptoms, and how do you know it's the turbo? If you can pull the air intake hose off and wiggle the turbine shaft up and down, then yea, it's bad. How many miles are on it? And you change your oil how frequently? :moon:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with that truck... seems the poop keeps on coming.

Might be time to consider a strong aftermarket unit such as a Banks, ATS, or Hypermax...

Anyway, hope you guys get it straightened out. Your truck's sounding as bad as mine was last summer before the transmission blew.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mike-
I think she is a "bolt action" kinda gal. If she scatters a ZF5, she's got some real problems on her hands.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, my truck MUST be male.... he got to feeling a little under the weather and decided to whine and cry and exagerate his symptoms to get some attention. -Playme

Turns out the turbo is ok ( for now), the breather hose collapsed and it suffocated itself. All I will say was BJ was driving it, not me. :D

Hey Mel? -Showtits

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I knew that's how you'd respond!

Glad to hear it wasn't something serious.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by GaPchNCrm
well, my truck MUST be male.... he got to feeling a little under the weather and decided to whine and cry and exagerate his symptoms to get some attention. -Playme

Turns out the turbo is ok ( for now), the breather hose collapsed and it suffocated itself. All I will say was BJ was driving it, not me. :D

Hey Mel? -Showtits

Tanya,

was it the flex hose from the snorkel to the airbox? I removed the snorkel on mine but for some idiotic reason I left the hose on the airbox. Well, last August on the way home from our last camping trip, trailer in tow. heading up the last of the 7-8% grades, 70 MPH and...POW! Black smoke engulfs I-90 and we lose all power. Pull over everything seems normal. Idle sounds fine. Nothing screwy on the gauges. Leave it running and pop the hood and it took a milisecond to see the problem. The dumb flexhose I left on collapsed and cut off over half of the airbox inlet. Took it off, threw it in the back of the truck and away we went as if nothing ever happened. Of course my wife, Heather, 'bout had a coronary and thought we had caught fire!LOL The snorkel is restrictive so I just stuck it in the garage. That and the airbox will make good wall hangers when I put my new intake and exhaust on someday.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GaPchNCrm

Hey Mel? -Showtits

Glad to hear it was only the hose. Lotsa folks with those issues lately...