Turbo motor build

Stankienstien

Reaction score
Headed out tomorrow morning to pick up a 7.3 idi motor out of a wreaked f350 unknown miles, im gonna spend the next couple months rebuilding this motor one piece at a time, for a turbo'd idi, dont worry im doing head studs. now i have a banks turbo ive been knuckling around with for awhile, but i need the other parts, up pipes, intake hat, etc.

If you got them i need them if you wanna part ways, let me know what you have and how much you want.

Oh im also in need of a used IP if you got one, motor doesnt come with one. any tips from you experienced turbo old timers let me know im all ears.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an old timer but I might be able to help. Do you plan on using the bank's turbo or are you looking for a different set up?

If you plan on doing a build I would just spend the money and get a new pump and injectors that are sized for your setup.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on doing a build I would just spend the money and get a new pump and injectors that are sized for your setup.
Yes.
These are the #1 wear part; if you are spending money on a rebuild, those should be the #1 money priority.
You can run a worn engine with a new IP & injectors, but if you run a new engine with a worn IP/injectors, you'll be really unhappy.

Just buy a new set. I like R&D IDI Performance, others like Conestoga Diesel. Typ4(user here) also sells IPs I believe.
Don't buy one from an auto parts store; they are generally poorly rebuilt at best.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These aren't cheap, but they are really worth it! Cheap usually means bad with our engines. Maybe "not good" would be a better description.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always do a custom turbo set up.

I also say to buy a new pump and sticks.

research research research. every bit of information is on this site.
from valve recess dimensions to bolt sequence and torque.

keep everything CLEAN. like surgically.

Stankienstien

Reaction score
I'm not an old timer but I might be able to help. Do you plan on using the bank's turbo or are you looking for a different set up?

Have a banks turbo sitting in my garage right now, just gonna use that one.

Stankienstien

Reaction score
you can always do a custom turbo set up.

I also say to buy a new pump and sticks.

research research research. every bit of information is on this site.
from valve recess dimensions to bolt sequence and torque.

keep everything CLEAN. like surgically.

Making sure to do this in my spare time. Lots of knowledge on this forum that I'm trying to soak up.

lude and rude

Reaction score
best advice i have is if your doing a full tear down is to hot tank all the old crap off the engine. nothing better than to start with a clean fresh canvas.
definitely get either a known (i mean really known) good used low mileage or brand new pump and brand new good injectors. these are not parts to cheap out on with these engines because so many issue crop up from these couple components. now i stated known low mileage used, because you might be able to find a great used pump from somebodies build that never happened.
last bit of advice: research, research again and research so more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online