turbo issues?

350curtis

Reaction score
i have a 6.0 liter 2004 f 350. i had issues with my cylinder #8 glow plug. fixed that. now the computer is telling me number 2 injector. no biggy. but driving home twenty minutes ago i lost my turbo completely. i strarted my truck seemed to runnin fine but i noticed i didnt have a turbo. then it kicked in but only spooled up. when i let off the gas it made a chug chug chug sound. ive never heard this before and its my first diesel. any help would be much appreciated. thanx

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you didn't lose an intercooler boot. The chug chug was the VGT vanes positioning themselves.

350curtis

Reaction score
i checked my boots there is no visible cracks and everything is tight. there is however a little bit of oil residue on the boot right at the turbo. is this normal? could an air filter also do this i noticed its a little dirty, could lack of air be a cause? thanxs for the advise mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a plugged air filter is highly unlikely however it is an easy check to do. I've blown a turbo hose before. The vehicle could barely get out of it's own way. Zero power and a lot of smoke out the pipe. You stated that you "lost your turbo". We need some more facts to help you diagnose what's going on.

350curtis

Reaction score
lost my turbo as in i stopped hearing the whistle and had only engine power with no kick from the turbo. then it would kick back in and spool up but it felt like there was no release of power. i could only get about 2500 rpm. when it does spool it whistles real loud, alot louder than when i first bought the truck.

350curtis

Reaction score
although what you said about blowin a turbo hose sounds like what happened about two weeks ago. i had no power and lots of white smoke. but then i got power back and it never happened again. any thoughts on that?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's 4 boots on the intercooler and piping and one at outlet of turbo.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise you described is most likely the vanes in the turbo being stuck. This can also cause a vey bad turbo lag condition. That blue boot off the turbo is very prone to cracking and splitting on the under side of it. If it is covered with oil residue you will probably find crakes in it.

350curtis

Reaction score
well so far its been 4 glow plugs. the passenger glow plug harness, exhaust sensor, thats just to get the truck to run smoothly. just waiting on parts to come in, then i can dive into the turbo. yay! lol oh ya and 2 injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online