Transmission will not shift properly Help

dave1shere

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a neighbor who just bought a 2001 Dodge 3500 4X4 automatic w/Cummings. He got it for a real good price, because the transmission "computer?" is having a problem. Here are the symptoms we've found so far. After starting, he puts it in drive, it starts in second gear, he has to get the truck to over 40 miles an hour shifts to neutral, shuts off the engine, and restarts. This procedure allows the transmission to shift gears normally. Also, if the truck is initially started, it will go into first gear only by down shifting the column shift lever to First gear. The seller told him that he thought it was a computer problem and that by shutting off the ignition and turning it back on, reboots the computer. After this is done, it will shift normally until you stop and shut the truck off. The seller also told them that it is an intermittent problem that does not happen all the time. Sometimes it runs normally and you don't have to do anything to it other times you have to go through the procedure of exceeding 40 miles an hour shutting it off and then turning it back on. My truck is a 93 Ford F250 so I don't have computer controls. I'm not able to really help there. As far as troubleshooting of are there any codes that we can look for and how do we plug in a diagnostic and where. I'm going to assume that the transmission is in good mechanical shape because the problem seems to go away after you have run it for a while and it do you shut it off again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug for the diagnostic tool is right under the dash on the drivers side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sounds like a bad connection or bad ground somewhere if its intermittent but some trouble codes should tell us more.

-Jordan-

dave1shere

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I have one last question, or maybe not. Where is the ground strap that goes to the transmission or is it ground to the engine? I have heard that can be a problem with transmission computer interfaces. Are there any other grounds that you know of that we can check? Again, thank you for your quick reply.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I dont know, my mitchell program is not working at the moment, all i can tell you is to get under there and take a look! ha ha

-Jordan-