transmission shot? clutch? flywheel?

thill

Reaction score
93 f 350, zf 5, 7.3 non turbo, 4wd.
Had a helluva a day yesterday. Day started with the upper shock mount breaking on the front passenger side. Ended with banging in the driveline. Put the truck into low range to pull out a small dead spruce. Did so with no problem. few mins later I'm driving down the road and I start to hear a banging and I can feel it in the shifter. Noise got worse the longer I drove it (3 more miles). Looked underneath, u joints are good, nothing seems out of place. The noise is consistant, not rotational, but say every 5-10 seconds. Gear is irrelevant. Push in the clutch- problem goes away immediately.
Smells like clutch to me, but it never slipped before. The bushing in the clutch pedal linkage is worn out, I have a new bracket and linkage to install, just havent gotten there yet.
I changed all fluids last fall-truck only has 75k original mileage. The banging sounds like metal on metal, like someone hitting the frame with a sledge
Help please.
truck is a chip truck, so it has been abused with towing and weight in the chipbox. otherwise I baby it. Just got new axle seals front, all new pads, rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders, e brake cables, vacuum pump.
think I'm gonna need a tranny..anyone have advice on good zf5 for sale? preferably new

thill

Reaction score
wouldn't the front driveshaft be non rotational when in 2 wd with front hubs unlocked? manual locking hubs (brand new) I'm gonna remove it Monday either way to start isolating the problem.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to crawl under the truck and grab each driveshaft and give it a good shake. If it is loose it needs attention. Otherwise they are good and I would start to look else where. Pinion bearings?

Dave

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The noise is consistant, not rotational, but say every 5-10 seconds.

Gear is irrelevant. Push in the clutch- problem goes away immediately.

Smells like clutch to me

pushing the clutch in and having the issue go away instantly,pretty much eliminates driveshaft right guys?

clutch pressure plate failure/springs come undone? will this cause a banging sound?

wouldn't the front driveshaft be non rotational when in 2 wd with front hubs unlocked? manual locking hubs (brand new) I'm gonna remove it Monday either way to start isolating the problem.

right.no turning of the front shaft.just using t-case for lo range gearing (out back only) w/ hubs unlocked.

thill

Reaction score
Doesn't make noise in neutral.
Pinion gear- no leaks on rear pumpkin. Could be the problem, but why no noise when clutch is depressed?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pressure plate is released = no noise. Sounds like a bad pressure plate.

Dave

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Jack the rear ended up, secure it on stands. Put in first gear and climb under and listen/feel around. Should be able to narrow it down. Could of chucked teeth of ring or pinion and when clutch is pushed in, the pressure is not on it anymore allowing it to glide over the bad spot

thill

Reaction score
quick update. drove the truck around my yard today. noise happens with clutch depressed as well as engaged. Thinking transfer case. The noise started directly after my shift from 4 lo to 2 hi. Truck has almost 80k on it, towed a large chipper (for an idi) for 85 percent of its life. the high rpms needed sometimes to get her rolling certainly hasn't helped the driveline. Tomm I'm gonna put itup on stands and spin the wheels in neutral and then put it in gear and do the same, all the while feeling tranny, t0case and fron and rear doiff for the noise. borg warner, I'm hoping its the problem, cheap rebuild.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right.no turning of the front shaft.just using t-case for lo range gearing (out back only) w/ hubs unlocked.

no.that's wrong isn't it? if you shift the t-case into 4wd hi or low range,both outputs are going to turn,so the front shaft will spin,it just wont drive the front wheels until you lock the hubs.
sorry about that!

also interested in the outcome.