Trans issues

Austinfee

Reaction score
I can't catch a break!

1990 f250 7.3l , 180k , jasper e4od.

I was having some problems with my truck not shifting when it should and down shifting when it shouldnt. I would be going 45 mph and my speedo would be jumping up and down from 15 mph to 35. So I replaced the speed sensor on the front of the engine, speed sensor on rear axle, and checked the pencil gear for the speedo cable to make sure that was OK. That did nothing. So than I was beginning to think that I had a bad speedometer. So this morning I disconnected the cable from the back of the speedometer and drove 6 miles. It seemed to shift better, but when I got home the trans smelt burnt.

Question #1
Do you think I messed up the trans on that drive

Why would the trans over heat just from unplugging the speedo

Should I replace the fluid

Do you think it's possible my speedometer cluster is not functioning correctly and causing my trans to shift when it shouldn't

Thanks for all the help. Every time i post a thread here, you guys seem to find a solution!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 8th gen speedo/trans setup so I can't help there.As for the fluid though,can you unhook a cooler line,put it in a clear bottle,start the engine for 2-3 seconds to fill it and upload a pic? No temp gauge uh?

Edit;
You know what.I bet your issue is going to be the part in the trans,that spins the speedo gear.Again though.Best wait for someone with more knowledge with this than I here.

Austinfee

Reaction score
Yes I can do that , no temp gauge! I was just telling myself yesterday I need more gauges. Only have the stock engine / oil temp.

Austinfee

Reaction score
I know this isn't the greatest sample but it's dark and raining outside! It looks a little dark in color, it might smell a little burnt also but I'm going to need to get a larger sample once the weather clears

You must be registered for see images attach