Tilt column dissassembly?

RedTruck

Reaction score
I am in the middle of taking the tilt wheel assembly apart on an '84. I have it down to the two aluminum pieces that are the tilt part and the steering shaft. How do I get the aluminum tilt part apart or over the steering shaft knuckle? I'd like to replace both upper bearings since I've got it apart, but I can't get to the second one without taking this piece apart.

Has anyone taken this apart? I know my description is a little vague, but I'm pretty sure if you've taken this apart you'll know what I'm talking about. :puke:

Thanks for any help,

Paul

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had my 84 or 85 apart in a while so pardon me if I'm off. I believe that there are two pins that have to come out. They have a small hole in each one with female threads. Most parts houses sell a little tool for removing these. It has a funny looking screw with 5/16 thread on top and a little screw thread lower , then a nut and collar. Sorry for a vague description I'ld take a picture but I'm terrible with the camera and computer.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Thanks,

I figured it had to do with those, but wasn't sure.

Thanks again,

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
For those of you that have had problems with the wiring ring/pig-tail for the steering column, what have the problems been usually? I've got mine apart and have wondered whether I should spend the $140 to replace it.

Thanks,

Paul

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have had problems with the wiring ring/pig-tail for the steering column, what have the problems been usually? I've got mine apart and have wondered whether I should spend the $140 to replace it.

Thanks,

Paul

When electrical things in my column go bad, I replace them with dash-mounted parts.

My turn-signals are externally column-mounted Signal-Stat and I like the set-up so well that it would be one of my first requirements, should I ever have reason to switch trucks---= which is highly unlikely.

My dimmer is in the floor = where they belong.

If and when the key-switch ever fouls up, it too will be relocated.

The only thing that should be in the column is the steering-shaft itself, PERIOD.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Have you got any information or pictures on your signal stat? While I do tend to agree with you, the thing the OEM setup has going for it is it has worked fine for over 20 years with no troubles. This is the first time I've pulled one of these apart...I can't believe there aren't more problems with steering columns. Mine just ended up getting dirty so the key switch was sticking in the start position. I'm just trying to do a little preventative maintenance.

On a side note the wiring for an '84 tilt wheel has been discontinued by Ford. This wiring was unique to only the '84. Later models used a different harness. There is a parts house in Michigan that bought all the left overs from Ford. They are available for $140.

I've had one of those signal stat units in a few old pickups. One that comes to mind is a '52 3/4 ton Chevy. I'm bragging about my column wiring lasting over 20 years while that '52 Chevy still works today.

Paul

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you got any information or pictures on your signal stat?
Paul

I installed it so many years ago that I hardly remember just what I did.

I do know that there are more than one type of set-up for them and, if my memory is correct, my 1985 Ford required the 7-wire signal(I could be wrong).

The reason for me initially getting the Signal-Stat was that my column caught on fire while going up the road with a big load of cattle.

I was frantically jerking out wires and fuses, while still trying to come to a stop.

Something in the turn-signals had shorted and started a wiring fire.

There are so many advantages to the externally-mounted Signal-Stat, my favorite being they are non-cancelling, meaning that the signal STAYS ON, until I decide to turn it off; no more turn-signal snapping off in the beginning of a turn.

Another favorite advantage is the signals will work with the KEY OFF and in my pocket.

On another note, my truck has a tilt-column; I keep it in the highest position and NEVER mess with it.

I would like to replace it with a no-non-sense aftermarket column that would put the wheel in approximately the same position as my current column; other than that, I couldn't care less whether it "tilted".

Has anyone else replaced the column in a truck of my vintage with an aftermarket column ??

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> ALMOST THERE <<<

When electrical things in my column go bad, I replace them with dash-mounted parts.

My turn-signals are externally column-mounted Signal-Stat and I like the set-up so well that it would be one of my first requirements, should I ever have reason to switch trucks---= which is highly unlikely.

My dimmer is in the floor = where they belong.

If and when the key-switch ever fouls up, it too will be relocated.

The only thing that should be in the column is the steering-shaft itself, PERIOD.

I found this old thread while seeking information.

As of this past weekend, true to my words, the only thing the column now does is steer the truck. ;Sweet

One more little fix and I can hang the switch-key on the wall as a reminder of how things used to be; ALAS, I still have to have it to unlock the steering-wheel.

Having a locking steering-wheel makes about as much sense as our current administration. cookoo

It is my understanding that, once I pull the wheel and such far enough to access the turn-signal switch area, located at about 2 O-CLOCK, there is a retaining block held by one Phillips-head screw through which the steering lock-pin resides.

If I remove this screw and the retaining-block it retains, can I simply lift out the lock-pin, dis-card it, and that be that ??

Thanks.