Throttle cable "all years" true

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the part # in the parts bin that says all years. Is this true? Local dealership says $168. Online shopping I found it for $69 but shows it only for obs years idi. I want the best I can get. Truck I need it for is a 1990. Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's two styles now avail.
one is the OEM for a fortune
the other is Doorman for less than $100
both will work in a IDI equipped truck.
neither will work in a PSD.
one will require replacement yet again in the near future.
what's your time worth?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine from knects for like 50-60 dollars still works great, I only went through two because I let my cable run to close to the exhaust housing of my turbo, melted it after a long climb up the pass

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one for 69 is supposed to be oem from fordpartsgiant.com. It says it isn't for a brick but is for an obs if you put in the years. Sounds like they are all the same year wise. Not trying to cut corners just don't need to get hosed for the same part. Thanks for the responses. I'm not familiar with knects but I'll look it up

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a local parts store in Oregon I'm sure you can find a similar priced item online though I always forget the rest of the US may have different stores lol

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One time I was in a pinch, I was hauling up a mountain pass and when I got to the other side took a break, got ready to leave and found the throttle wouldn't move and the pedal was STUCK.

mind you I was in the middle of nowhere, so parts would have taken days, several hundred miles from any friends or family. I had a milwaukee-dremel, zip ties, and determination. On a manual-shift truck you could just zip tie the throttle to 66% and make do, but here's what I tried first:

Cruise control never worked on my truck, but it uses a throttle cable of sorts. A nice fat insulated one. Lo and behold it's more than long enough, and it had a lead ball on the end. I took the plastic mounting pieces from the melted throttle cable, which had fused solid, and spliced them onto the cruise control throttle cable. I cut that ******* off of the cruise module and mounted it up like stock, got the business end into the cab, and found I already had a self-tapping screw on the GO pedal, so I wrapped it around and tightened down.

Lo and behold I had a new throttle cable, that worked perfectly and got me home and then some! Tested it in neutral a bunch, then got back on the road. I got a spare in the toolbox now but I still use that butchered cruise cable. Long story short it's just a simple cable, you could use a damn bike brake cable kit but it wouldn't last long with the heat!