Thoughts on the new Delo 400 SDE API CK-4

sweet66monza

Reaction score
From my understanding, all the new Delo has no zinc content like the old stuff did. I ran the Delo 400 in my classic gas cars also because of zinc content and camshaft failure. Locally I can still get mobil delvac CJ-4 but all the delo is now ck-4. Should I switch over to Mobil (As long as I can still get it?) TIA!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Still a fair amount of Zinc in the oil but its certainly not like it used to be.

I'm not crazy with the lower zinc content but the CK spec oil has been being tested for awhile now and I'm sure its ok. Its also been on the shelves long than most might realize but the label became official as of this year. They couldn't switch the label to CK-4 until the new year. The new rotella bottles that showed up last year where the CK-4 rolling out on the shelves even though at the time its was labeled as CJ-4.

I'm also sure people are going to be freaking out over this new oil spec and getting all worked up about it. It shouldn't make any difference in our engines because we don't have flat tappets.

If I had to take a guess the Motorcraft oil will remain CJ-4 for awhile yet. Ford has said they don't support CK-4 in the 6.7 as of right now. They seem to be the odd man out and its been causing some serious debate on other forums.

Not everyone might realize but there are two new specs for diesel oil this year. The CK-4 that is backwards compatible and FA-4 that is strictly for newer over the road trucks.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you bring this up. I was at Walmart a couple days ago browsing the auto section when I noticed this. At first I thought it was just a new bottle design but then realized it was a new formulation.
Chances are if your idi engine could run on the plain old diesel rated oil they had 30 years ago, I'm sure it will run just fine on the advanced oils they have formulated in today's world.
Like already stated, zinc is mainly for breaking in flat tappers, which our engines surely aren't.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cracked me up when I saw all of the new oil at Wal-Mart for delo the other day was trying to figure out what is synthetic and what isn't. Everything had "ISO-SYN" on it but apparently that doesn't mean it's synthetic, the synthetic is in a different color jug that says "SYN-BLEND"...

Just for God sakes put synthetic on synthetic or nothing if it's not.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zddp is mostly for cams with flat tappit lifters. Ours are roller bearings or bushings so that should be a non issue

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been reading up on this topic since I'm bored tonight. Looks like ford company has refused to use the new CK-4 oils in their diesels :dunno. Not exactly sure why or how they came up with this, but the consensus is that it accelerates engine wear in 6.7 powerstrokes. As of now, they will only be using & recommending motorcraft oils.
Kinda interesting

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower zinc in new oil formulations isn't the issue. It's the low phosphorus content. The blue oval doesn't recommend the CK-4 or FA-4 oil in any of its diesels, new or old.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online