Things to check on new (to me) 97 dodge 2500 12 valve.

Nu2dieselz

Reaction score
Okay ya'll. I just went and looked at this truck yesterday, and made a deal to purchase it after my shop looks it over and verifys there's nothing seriously wrong with it.

It's a 1997 Dodge 2500 club cab, 2wd automatic. Approx 193K miles. I'll be getting it for $3500.

I looked it over yesterday, and drove it. Seemed to run and drive just fine. Didn't do it for me, but owner said occasionally it will die in reverse if engine is not warm (big deal?).

My wife is going to take it to the shop that does all my work tomorrow, just for a once over make sure I didn't miss anything major.

Assuming they say it's decent, and I do purchase it, what problems should I be looking for/expecting.

Are there any basic add-ons or mods I should do to increase longevity/reliability? (Not power. The truck has plenty of power for anything I'll be doing, and I have no desire to make a beast out of it). For example, I've read in a lot of places I should put an exhaust gas temp gauge on it.

Thanks guys, I'm somewhat mechanically competent, but somewhat new to diesels, and the Cummins especially.

Nu2dieselz

Reaction score
Also, from the reading I've done, I realize at the mileage its got, and being an automatic, I should be expecting it to need a rebuild in the next couple years. I have a quote from the best local tranny shop to rebuild it for ~$1400 when the time comes.