The Oilburners hall of shame

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aberdeen Light Truck Repair Prospect St Keyport/Aberdeen New Jersey

I took the truck there for a water pump replacement and now have the secondary alternator bracket missing. I had previously taken the secondary alternator off to replace the fuel filter and to save time on the water pump job (time is money) I left the secondary alternator off. I called the shop a day later and the woman who answered the phone said she will ask the mechanic when he is back because there was a death in his family. Not hearing back from her for over a week I called them again and she had told me unfortunately it was thrown out and nothing they can do.

I then told her that unfortunately they will have to pay for a replacement and she said she will speak to the owner. Less than five minutes later she calls back and tells me to hold on for the owner that he wants to talk to me. He gets on the phone and tells me it was tossed out and they will do nothing. I told him that it was on there when I brought the truck in and I want it replaced so I could put the secondary alternator back on. He then said a secondary alternator is not needed anymore because it is not being used as an ambulance at which point I disagreed with him because the secondary alternator charges the second set of batteries, jump starts the truck with a push of a button if needed and will also run the entire truck should the primary alternator fail which has been the case previously until the new primary alternator arrived after it being ordered. He then said again sorry there is nothing we are going to do so I told him I will see him in court. He then laughed and said good luck on that.

Well folks normally I would not take a guy to court over this but being he laughed and said good luck I am going to do just that. I will get a cost estimate from PL Custom which is located in Manasquan NJ not to far from me and who built the ambulance in the first place. They are also a customer of ours for the fuel distributor I work for and I actually make the delivery of on road diesel weekly to them so the next time I am there I will ask them what it would cost for the bracket to be fabricated and if need be they can see the truck when I can bring it to them. I will get the estimate in writing, go to the court house and file a small claims case against the shop. The cost to file a small claims case is on;ly $25.00 or so and I will just add that to the cost of getting the money out of this guy. I am not doing it for the money, I'm doing it on the principle that you can't get over on me and to laugh and say good luck has pushed me to file this case.

That's one problem. The second problem is the truck has a hard time starting ever since they did the job. The fuel line attaches to one of the bolts on the waterpump and has a small band clamp that looks to me like rubber should be in but there is no rubber there. I am not sure where the leak exactly is but it is leaking diesel on the passenger side front and the truck was not doing this before it was brought there and started every time, not start then die right away as it does now when it sits for a few hours. I did not even mention the starting issues I am having to them because I would be just wasting my breath and it would fall on deaf ears.

Jonjeep

Reaction score
B&R auto wrecking Eugene Springfield Oregon

I hear you on the B&R prices!! " EVERY part in the yard is NEW prices" Even over in TUCK... ( Springfield). My dipstick snapped off right at the swage, so I go to B&R and the guy asks me what I think I should pay for a used dipstick and I said 15 dollars... He says $20.... Used tailgate--- latch broken, I say $50 he says $75... front bumper and filler, I say $150, he says $225... and so on... PLUS the counter service was horrible!! One guy taking calls ( at least 2 personal calls and 3 business calls during the time I was at the counter being ignored) and servicing the walk in business... I left with the feeling that I had been ripped off.

Last edited:

xcite

Reaction score
Important Information!!!!

This is both to vent and to inform people of the poor customer service of a company. I had been up to this point doing business with FORT DODGE TRANSMISSION in Ft Dodge, IA but I will no longer.

This all started when my truck broke down on me and had to pull my engine for service. I had been having problems with the pump in the transmission and decided to fix it while the engine was out since it would be easy to acess at this point. I was replacing the pump due to it wanting to lock up the convertor when putting the transmission in reverse when warmed up. To make a long story alittle shorter when the truck was all back together the convertor would not lock up at all. We checked and rechecked everything thinking we screwed up something. This was late in the afternoon after the trans rebuilders was closed so I called a AMCO shop and aranged to bring the pump over to look at it in the morning as this truck was already over due for being back on the road at this point. My son ran the pump to the shop in the morning to be checked and they imediately found it had not been assembled properly, the keeper holding the convertor control valve in place was not seated and fell out when they where blowing it off.

So after everything and reinstalling the convertor worked perfectly so by this time we had alot of extra time in the repair plus a bill at AMCO for their help fixing the issue. So I call FORT DODGE TRANSMISSIONS the first thing I got was attitude and complete denial and basically accused of making it up. I was being as polite as possible and letting them know they could call AMCO them selves and find out what was wrong when they looked it over. I was told unless they seen it themselves they wouldnt do anything about it. They would not even cover the small bill at AMCO to repair thier mistake. Now this is a large trans rebuilder that has now decided if it isnt brought to them all the time they will not honor any kind of warrenty at all.

So my thoughts go to what if I was a long ways from home and one of their products failed that is suppose to be under warrenty, I am suppose to haul it back to them only for repair or inspection.

To top it all off I have spent thousands of dollars with them over the years and even reminded them of that fact also. I lost it and told them exactly where they could stuff if and what they could kiss and said xxxx you and hung up.

I dont think they realize they have lost a long time customer over this small item as well as possibly several new potential customers just because they have forgotten what customer service is.

I am done complaining about it and anyone that wishes can post this anywhere they would like. In my opinion if you are thinking about doing business with FORT DODGE TRANSMISSIONS I would think twice.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we should add PartGeek to the hall of shame as well.

I ordered linkage for my truck and was sent a whole pile of garbage that doesn't fit. None of the number match up on either the order the invoice or the boxes. Its a mess and they are not only completely incapable of helping but downright rude in there responses. I'm astounded at there seeming laughter at there own screw up.

I've ordered countless parts on line and never had a problem before, ( other than the guys who sold me a cleaned and shines old and worn out IP and then disappeared ) yet these guys seem to even be cryptic about where to return the stuff to. the only thing on the boxes was a PO box, they don't answer there phones and they certainly don't have a clue about customer service.

I'm canceling the card I used to make the purchase I'll be filling a fraud claim on them and I'm damn straight never going to do business with them again.

Reaction score
So I took my truck to have the glow plugs replaced by use auto in parker Colorado and what a mistake that was. He left a f&#%@* hose clamp in the bottom of the intake. Well that hose clamp destroyed my compressor wheel. He says oh it'll be fine. Well it wasn't so I ordered a 60-1 gtx style compressor wheel from performance techniques in Calif. It's a cool.wheel. and fairly priced. Made out of billett. With the compressor housing machines by a local machine shop he said he would fix his mistake. Enter mistake 2 by me. So I thought let him fix it he's not charging me anything. Well the a*&&%#% didn't get the turbo balanced and he had the truck for 3 weeks I picked it up one week ago. Today I took it to parker diesel repair today because of periodic blue smoke. Well the turbo seals and bearings are shot. Moral of the story only let typ4 touch my turbo.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EBay Seller in Missoula Montana?

Did a search and they do not show up here -good experiences with their injectors, pumps, etc. Anyone? Or can someone recommend a good source for new/remaned injectors for my '94 7.3 and the same for pump and other parts - Need reliable and good pricing here -thanks!

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you, need injectors, don't know where to go. Lots of folks say check with Mel and typ4 on here.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
OB Board member dyoung14

This is both a warning and me venting.....

Back in June David had a thread in the marketplace and was selling a set of G code injectors. Seeing as my truck was washing at least two of its cylinders, and I was broke. $60 sounded like a decent gamble to keep me running for a while. After PMing him, he asked for a Money Order, and gave me his mailing address. So I sent him a money order with my shipping addy.

Couple days later he PM's me, saying he's got it, and wants my shipping address. So I give him my shipping address again. He tells me he will ship them the next week.... Then nothing.

Three weeks later, I PM him again:

Me: Did you have a chance to get them in the mail last week? Not trying to nag you, just wonderin.
Him: Im very very sorry i havent got it shipped yet i promise i will as soon as i can im working to much right now

A week after that I ask him if they've shipped yet, and I got no response. I'm still trying to be a nice guy, I understand working too hard. I put in my 100+ hour weeks. So I give it another couple weeks. Now we're into August, I have to get the truck smoke checked, and she's not going to pass. So I PM him AGAIN.

Me: Hey, checking in on the injectors again. I've pretty much run outa time to wait on parts for this repair, and I need to be able to drive the truck.
Him: lease send me the address again im so sorry i will get them out next week.
Me: *address*

Three more weeks, and no injectors.

Me:Hey, I assume since I haven't seen a box, and haven't heard from you, that the injectors still have not shipped. At this point, can I just get my $60 back, so I can order a set from mylex?

No response for two weeks, then finally:

Him: Give me the adress you want it sent to
Me: *address*

and of course nothing arrives for three weeks, so I PM him AGAIN.

Me: So after more than three months, and a ton of messages. I still have yet to receive the injectors or a refund. Either will do at this point. I a trying to remain polite, but I am seriously pissed.
Him: I am sorry i havent had time to do anything dude i work all the time i work 13.5 hours a day and a 1.5 hr drive each way im sorry i have a baby on the way and preparing for that takes all my free time up, if i can remember and you can send me a messege on friday morning and remind me then i can send them then thats my next day off, unless im asked to work, send me a message friday and i will send them if im off

So that friday rolls around, and I try to PM him, Inbox full. So I leave him Visitor Message:

Me: Your inbox is full, so here is your reminder to send the injectors.

And I've not heard from him since. Despite the fact that he was last on "Yesterday at 8:22pm"

So lesson learned: Just because they're a board member, doesn't mean you can trust them. The worst part is, if it had been paypal I could have at least gotten my money back. So because of this, my injectors cost me an extra $60 learning tax.

Do not deal with David Young. (dyoung14)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Diesel Care & Performance

This is kind of a different hall of shame postLOL

a couple years ago i had to replace my IP. so i found DCP on ebay. i ended up buying one of their IP's for the factory turbo engine. shipping was good, the core charge process was good. no issues. i got my new IP and installed it. truck started right up and DID NOT MISS A BEAT, and still has yet to miss a beat nearly two years later;Sweet.

Now for the reason this is hall of shame material. this past summer i went to turn up the internal fuel screw on the IP. it only turned a couple flats before it bottomed out. so it was already turned up pretty good before i even got it. even though the IP is now "maxed" out the EGT's are still quite low. i decided to see what adjusting the torque screw would do. i backed off the lock nut and put a wrench on the torque screw and i broke the wrench before the screw even thought about turning. the screw is somehow locked up so now i can not adjust it.:mad:

So i am not all that thrilled with a few things about this.....i got a "rebuilt" IP that was had the fuel turned up quite a bit. not good seeing as EGT's can get pretty toasty easily on this engines. something is messed up with the ADJUSTABLE torque screw preventing it from being adjusted. This IP seems to not be putting out the amount of fuel that it should be.

Stay away from these IP's. save your money. even if you get a pump that works just fine like i did, it is still not a quality rebuild.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am sticking to Conestoga! Thanks again! Sorry about your IP issues - I like to fix things once!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
This is a bit of a follow up to my post above about diesel care. today i finally got my torque screw on the IP to break free. adjust it to were i want it and i go to tighten the lock nut and the hole in the IP is stripped out. so i had to put the screw back to were it was and i was able to catch a couple threads and snug it down. i got some ideas on how to get it to tighten down good were i actually want the screw.

DO NOT BUY FROM DIESEL CARE.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OB member DYoung14... again

I was really hesitant to post anything here about a member, but after being informed by a moderator that this is NOT an isolated case and in fact for the few cases mentioned publically about this member, there are many, many more that have happened to members who have chosen to remain quiet.

I imagine you all probably saw a while back where DYoung was advertising alternator hop up services in the market place and on the IDI section, possible in the PSD section, after he had been working in a production shop for a while, well, I decide to give the kid a chance, turns out i was the first, and probably the only one it sounded like , at least I hope.
Now I wasnt going to throw him out on the hall of shame, I understand a young fella trying to find his way in life, . I'm out just under $400 after its all said and done. I paid for new EVERYTHING in the guts. plus a lot of shipping both ways, but now I find out this isnt an isolated incident.

I sent the guy a good working core and it was a couple months ( and a LOT of excuses ) before I got the rebuild back that was supposed to be putting out 250 amps, it wouldnt charge. He PROMISED me he had tested it on his brothers power stroke , so I went to unbelievable lengths and spent a couple months completely rewiring EVERYTHING under the hood to eliminate any possible malfunction on the part of my truck ( although i quickly discovered that what I thought he had polished teh case, was actually PAINT on the case of teh alternator ( yeah, my old eyes suck :), including on teh parts required for grounding ... when I confronted him about this, he had no clue that grounding was a requirement, then on pushing further, I then find that he only installed it on his brothers truck and idled it, but never turned on ac or lights or radio etc , in other words, he got a battery voltage reading and never put it under load to see if it was actually charging. I went on further trying with an extra ground strap bolted to the back of teh case trying everything possible to give him every benefit of teh doubt, at each step swapping the alt out with my spare and it would function with my spare but not with the one he sent me, all the while both alternators were being stored under my hood.. This did take a while , I am an old cripple, but when I finaly gave up, it was well within his *warranty* period . and he agrees to fix it ( at first he didnt want to claiming that it was *thoroughly tested*)
I send the thing back and he tries to claim its been under water ( anything that isnit running in this humidity will get surface rust on it, happens all the time, you should see when they sit for a few years, it all burns off after a few miles except for the external stuff) I finally get him off that high horse and he tells me hes going to fix it, I even sent him my fedex account number so he could just drop it off when hes done . He got it back near 3 months ago He tells me the stator was burned out at one of teh diodes ( surprise surprise after being run with no ground ) and he was going to fix it and I havent heard a word from him in over 2 months and aparantly he hasnt logged on to the site in a very long time.

I dont plan on ever seeing that alternator,, I figure that money is long gone, I'll write that off as my low income charity work for the year , but I would like to make sure nobody else gets pulled in.. I could understand a young fella making one mistake in a jam, I'm about the most forgiving person on the planet, but aparantly this is a continuing pattern with this fella and folks need to know about it.
I needed a high amp alternator for my E fan conversion to function in this climate. Now with the cash I'm out, I'm going to have to convert back to a mechanical fan before spring, and I'm not going to switch it back, its just too much work at my age. He really screwed me over big time, and after all the extra cost and labour I went through to try and give him the benefit of the doubt, it is completely unconcionable .
For the record, I'm a retired certified master mechanic with years of dealer and fleet experience and I had my own shop until a few years ago when my body gave up on me, but I didnt do anything stupid to hurt the alternator.