The Oilburners hall of shame

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've all heard it more than a few times. An outfit that takes somebody for a ride without using a vehicle!

"Folks have got to make choices
And choices got to have voices
Folks are basically decent
Conventional wisdom would say
But we read about the exceptions
In the papers every day" - Second Nature, from the group RUSH

So it is here. If you've reached the end of the road with an outfit that won't make good, tell the world your story and let it stand as a warning sign to others. Be sure to modify the title of your REPLY to this post with the name of the company at issue. Folks looking to do business can then scan this list for the company they are about to deal with, and be advised accordingly. If you want to reply to a complaint, or need more info, copy the post into a new thread and discuss it there. This list will become not too usable if it is filled with discussion. Please keep the thread clean with properly formatted postings of companies to avoid ONLY.

Last edited:

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
taken by member of u-ship

After my 90 broke on vacation in July, I contracted with Fred Hulbert (fredrickshadow) on u-ship to move my truck back home for me. Paid a deposit of $500 to move the truck, to cover fuel.
Nice and always returned calls, but never completed the job.
Asked for a refund, now he will not call me back.

Anyone live in Lewisburg PA?-cuss

Now I am out... Truck is still not home, and u-ship will not do more than provide me with what he provided them.

I feel u-ship is a place that is allowing scammers to operate... No offense intended to the honest hot shot guys.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Deisel Care Memphis TN.

Diesel Care injection pumps Memphis Tennessee
Well now for my 2 bits. I did most of the installation of Emerys Pump.Many of you know me and trust my judgment(I hope).I bet I have changed over a dozen of these pumps-with no problems.It was installed properly with attention to cleanliness.Yes timed by ear as i don't have a timing setup for diesels.It leaked like a sieve when we started it-right out of the top cover.I thought how could it be tested and how could the internal pressures be correct during testing?I told Emery "we won't open the top untill we have called the shop(Diesel Care) and got their permission.They said go ahead-the oring seal was out of the groove-cut in half.After we started it it smoked like crazy It couldn't be delivering fuel correctly.There was brown watery crud in the top chamber of the pump(to late it had been run for a few minutes and with a set of brand new stealership injectors-NICE!!!!! We ordered a pump for a 1994 IDI turbo(the reason I had made the post about the correct pump #S.It didn't have the external fuel adjustment-I called mr williams and he said it would be fine he had made up f0r the difference in calibration,and he seldom shipped the 94 external fuel adjustment type pumps.Fortunately I said well if this is so I had a pump that Emery had just brought down from MA from my old home up there an olds 84 6.9 pump-he hesitated then said "in this case I'll accept the older style for a core(Hmm he must have wanted to swap an older pump for a real 1994 style pump,but I told him we wanted the original pump for us to rebuild.The truck ran rough he told Emery to stop on his way north after a 3 hour wait in Memphis they timed it by ear and told him he could do nothing for him since the pump was Installed wrong.How could this be/funny he never said what was wrong with the installation.
I must have left a greasy finger print on it.
We ordered the pump on Monday and asked for overnight air because Emery has some medical issues that were very serious and required him to get back quickly.On Tuesday -no pump.We called and were given a UPS tracking # that would come up on UPS records-we called Diesel care telling them of the urgency-Mr Williams assured us the pump was shipped but he would ship another right away .He asked us to return the second pump that arrived back to him.Funny we have still never received the first pump9Was it ever shipped on Monday? on the way home with no trailer the best the truck would do was 75 MPH (1994 factory turbo,ZF 5 speed CC) darn they were slow in 1994 huh?
I guess in short I am hurt because I recommended them because I had heard a few decent reports about them.And now I feel responsible for a friend having so much trouble.
8 new injectors run with crap in them-200 miles out of his way to let them personally see how it was running and check our work when we replaced the junk cover seal.Extra fuel burned because of poor MPG on a 1700 mile trip-
him saying the pump was installed wrong 3 days after it was in his shop.And insulting my workmanship just to cover his own lousy work.
You guys draw your own conclusion-I will never do or give Diesel care service any business whatsoever.
Lousy company-Lousy ethics-lousy workmanship-Just all over lousy.
also you old timers know I don't bash people or companies without a good reason.
Thanks "ANGRY" Mr Bill
Sorry I am totally- irrevocably-unequivocally
---- OFF

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add another, Diesel Tune in Downey, California. The main guy seemed like a knowledgeable guy, but after having him do the headgaskets and having them spewing coolant by the time I got 50 miles to my house. Their work was crap. When I took it back and asked them to fix it, they claimed a cracked block. Well, being a US Marine with orders to the East Coast in under a month, I had no choice but to get rid of the truck. Sold the 87 to my cousin and upon tear down, found it was headgaskets that were not installed correctly. So, all in all, I would NEVER, EVER take another diesel powered truck to them. There is more to the story about sloppy work, but I am sure you all remember what happened. Scotty

Last edited by a moderator:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PENDLEY's MACHINE SHOP....MADISONVILLE, KY

PENDLEY's MACHINE SHOP....MADISONVILLE, KY These guys did my heads for the rebuild. I know the motor had gotten hot. Because of this, I specifically ask them to pay close attention when they magnaflux'ed and pressure tested the heads.

Long story short....the driver's side head had a huge crack, and coolant ran out the #8 exhaust port like a faucet with just filling to block to test run the motor. THEY NEVER TESTED THE HEADS AND DID $$$$ WORTH OF WORK TO A BAD HEAD!!! There is no way they could have missed this crack if it was tested. They also screwed the valve grind and the angle was way off from the valves and all cylinders leak compression past the valves.

THEY WOULD NOT RETURN A DIME OF MONEY for this terrible work. Plus I was out money for new head gaskets and a valleypan. I got a new head and had to have the valves redone at another shop (altogether costing another $600). I will never use these clowns again!:puke: :backoff :shoot: ;Pissed

ON EDIT: They are now out of business. No one else needs to worry about this machine shop. :backoff

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Diesel Care and Performance, Mr Bill Williams

I will post my fair warning in here about these crooks, so no one else makes the mistake of buying his JUNK.

We got TWO sets of injectors from them with SAND IN THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it took us FOUR MONTHS to get Bill or whatever the %&^$ his name is to send us another set. He down right LIED for 2 months about sending sets and never did. We had to have a lawyer friend of ours make a call to him to get him to send us another set. He doesnt allow refunded returns either! Or we would have.
The truck in question is still down because Mr Williams ran this time table out so long with getting us a set of injectors without sand in them than it was to late in the year, and we were already in our low income time of year.

Oh, and I forgot to add. The "G" code injectors in question were not even true original G code injectors! They were either E's or BB's that were X'd over the original code, and he stamped in his own "G" on them. Then when it was all said and done he called us repeatedly about when we were going to send him our original G code injectors. My mom had a hay day cussing match with him for over 20 minutes about this. In the end we didnt send him our old injectors, and we didnt get charged a core charge either.

Last edited:

F350JOHN

Reaction score
Elite Diesel Pueblo West, Co

I took my Cummins engine to them for a new head gasket, pan gasket, front & rear mains. It was looking good, like maybe I got someone who actually wanted to help, then they went through management changes, and more management changes, and more management changes......;Pissed See a trend here? Shady company? Entire crews of guys fired then all new ones hired. Every time I went in, the staff was new! But anyhow, it sat for 8 months in their shop, with empty promises, waiting while they worked on high-dollar projects first. If you don't plan on forking out big bucks on custom twin turbos for a 6.0L Powerstroke or tuners and stuff, you mean nothing to them. Plus they had a shop manager tell me that my injection pump was bad, and the cheapest he could get it fixed for was around $2500.00 :rotflmao give me a break, you didn't even look at the engine, then he acted all hurt when I repo'd it from them. :D

Last edited:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pep Boys Good and bad

A while back I heard a noise coming from my right rear wheel when driving. I knew exactly what the problem was but did not feel like dealing with it so I took it to Pep Boys.

The problem was the self adjuster came loose for the brake shoes. Pep Boys at first did not want to do any work on it so the service manager called corporate and they told him that they have to work on it because they pulled it in the garage and the brake pedal was low so there was no way they could let it be on the road like that. The SM (service manager) said that they needed at least a one inch drive air gun to get the lugs off which is BS. They got the lugs off with a half inch dive air gun.

Now after inspecting the rear brakes they tell me I need new shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit and self adjusters. They say the front brakes are fine even though I did not see them pull the front wheels. Total price would be $630. I agree to let them do the work and they install the brakes call me later tell me the truck is ready to be picked up. I go to pick up the truck see that they mounted the duallys wrong on the left side. The so called mechanic takes the wheels back off but messes up a stud and lug nut in the process, they don't have one so I have to wait till the next day to pick up the truck.

Go the next day which is a Sunday at 8am I am there they get done about 8:30am with the stud put the wheels back on everything is fine until the mechanic backs the truck out. The brake pedal is still low and just as low as when I brought it in. They now check the front brakes and replace the calipers and pads even though the pads were new and calipers were also new. After replacing the pads and calipers the pedal is still low. He re-adjusts the back brakes and after that the pedal is still low. Now they want to replace the master cylinder and I tell them before they do that make sure it is the master cylinder because a bad RABS valve could give the same indication and I tell them how to check the master by plugging off the ports and stepping on the pedal. They did that and the master was good. I figured ok must be a bad rabs valve. They don't have one so they said they would order one. I take the truck back until they tell me it is in as I needed to get to work and could not hold the truck up any longer. If I pump the pedal twice i will be able to stop. The next day they call and said they could not get one that it is a dealer only item and would be $400, I asked them if they called Advance Auto parts and they told me that is the place they tried to get it.

I called Advance autoparts afterwards gave them the part number form their website and they ordered it. I pick up the Rabs valve when it is in and I take it back to pep Boys next week they install it and the pedal is still low. They then decide to replace the master cylinder and they replaced it and still had a low pedal.

Finally after telling them that maybe they should have another mechanic go over the other guys work they put someone else on it and he takes off the rear wheels and this time adjusts the brake shoes to the drum with the drum half off. Puts the wheels back on tightens everything up hops in the truck and the pedal is nice and high and firm backs the truck out. I hop in the truck and notice the RABS light is still on he tells me the pedal is fine and I say something else is wrong because the light should not be on. Go back inside the store tell the service manager whats going on and they decide to refund my $630, go to the cashier and he gives me the refund in cash ;Sweet

I then leave the store start my truck up and the RABS light came on for a few seconds as it is supposed to and then goes off :thumbsup:

Still have a nice high pedal as I am leaving and all is well.

So what I got out of the deal: New front pads, new calipers, new rear shoes, new hardware kit, new adjusters, new drums new wheel cylinders and a new master cylinder. The only thing they did not replace were the hydraulic lines. I paid for the RABS valve -cuss of which I believe that there was no problem with the original one.

All this was done at no cost to me so I got a complete front and rear brake job along with a new master cylinder all for FREE :rotflmao

Moral of the story, if you want a free brake job take it to Pep Boys but you will have to wait patiently until every conceivable brake component is replaced before they finally figure out the problem was just a simple brake adjustment after they put on the new shoes, wheel cylinders and drums.

:point If you have duallys make sure you bring a few studs and lug nuts with you.

dieseldually19

Reaction score
Diesel Care and Performance

Do not ever buy from these people. They are liars and cheats. My truck wouldn't start due to one of their faulty pumps that they sold me and would not refund me the cost that the tech charged me to get my pump going. The pump lasted 3 days and it did this to me.

What a joke. And Mr. Williams calls himself a Christian

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'Dabneys front end alignment' rebuilt the frontend on my truck, the pice on the labor ended up doubling and 2 mo. later the stub spring fell out, 2 years later ALL the tie rods needed to be replaced-both balljoints on the passangers side and the u-joints are bound up on the pass. side..

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Power Pros - aka Laguna Speed Shop

I placed an order 10/25 with them for a CDR relocation kit, received an e-mail same day confirming my order. I called a couple of days later and after having no luck getting anyone on the phone from 'customer service' I dialed the extension for sales and got someone who told me he couldn't find an order for me, but it was likely because it's a specialty order, so I needed to e-mail them my confirmation e-mail back with an explanation that I was wanting an update on my order. I did that and never heard back. Throughout this ordeal, I've had to use the Sales extension as you CAN NOT get anyone on the phone in 'customer service.' After not getting an e-mail back with my tracking information for my shipment, I decided to follow up on 11/5, I spoke with Amador, he told me it was back ordered and delayed because Banks had to make it, but it was scheduled to be shipped and I should have it by 11/13, I asked if I could get it by 11/11 as that's when I was next working on the truck and they said they would try. Also, on 11/5, was when they actually charged my credit card, so I assumed that must mean my order was going through. After nothing arrived on 11/11 (I called many times, no answers) I called 11/13 to verify my shipment was arriving that day, again no one would pick up. I called again 11/17 (I used *82 before dialing cause I think they were screening my calls) and was told that they spoke with Banks and it definitely shipped and Amador said he would call me back that night with the shipping information. It was at that time that I reminded him that he already told me it had shipped once before so I was having trouble believe it, but he tried to blame it on Banks that they told him it shipped when it didn't. I got NO call but I decided to wait to see if it actually showed up. Of course, it didn't, so I called again a couple of times, no one bother to pick up until I used *82 again. This time, I got 'Justin' on the phone, who sounded an awful lot like Amador, but who knows. Anyways, he said he checked my order and confirmed that it had shipped today. I started to blow up at him explaining that I had been told this twice before and he swears that's what Banks told him and he offered to call me tomorrow with the shipping information, I told him that was also told to me, but he swears they've done everything they can do and offered to provide me with their purchase number; this was actually the first time they have been honest with me.
I had to order some grommets from Banks anyways, so I called them, and low and behold, my order was not placed with them from Diesel Power Pros (Laguna Speed Shop) until 11/18. The day after I was told, for the second time, that the item had been shipped. If you look at the time line, my calls were the only thing to remind them of what to do. My call 11/5 reminded them to charge my card, but of course, who needs to bother with orders once they have my money. My call on 11/17 reminded them that, oh yeah, I still haven't placed the order, better do that.
On top of that, Banks told me that my order had not shipped. That it was scheduled to ship, that the part was in stock, and two shipments were going out, one to me and one to another person. All the same stuff 'Justin' told me, except that he promised it had shipped. My guess is he did this because he knew if I thought it hadn't I would have canceled my order, which is what I should have done in the first place.
Anyways, Banks has told me they will e-mail me the tracking information tomorrow, hopefully my part will arrive but I would advise anyone to NEVER order from these people. It's obvious they don't have their sh*t together, they couldn't handle a simple one part order and when I could actually get someone on the phone, I was being lied to while they were failing to handle a simple task like placing an order.

Good Luck!

MoMo

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went to NAPA (long drive location in houston, tx.) it's been 2 weeks. they have so far been able to locate 4 8yrs expired coolant test kits. each of which i had to pay for in advance and wait for them to be ordered. i'm done. got my money back.

oriely got one that's good till sept of next year the morning after i asked for one.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inland Truck Parts - Tulsa, OK

The driveshaft I got for the flatbed for my diesel conversion needed a new carrier bearing. I called Inland Truck and talk to their service guy on the phone, he quoted me $125 to balance the driveshaft and replace the carrier bearing.

I had the wife drop it off for me on a Saturday as they are open 9-12, I had an errand to run. The guy asked her if she asap and she said yes, so he tells her Monday morning. Well that set me off. I know it doesn't take that like long to press off a carrier bearing and balance the shaft, but maybe they were back logged. So I just accepted it.

Monday rolls around, and they call my wife to tell her the grease and grease plug were gone, and they were gonna need to replace the entire spline. They quoted it at $450 to fix the spline, balance the shaft, and replace the carrier bearing. This might be a fair price, but I'm a cheap Ba$%$rd and I'm not paying that. So I went and picked it up.

I called Driveshaft inc in Tulsa, and they told me worst case...$250. Which, I can accept. So they'll be getting my Driveline business from now on.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Inland Truck Parts - Lincoln NE

I could have sworn I posted a complaint here when this happened but didn't see it and after the last guys post I wanted to add my own experience with this company.

They are the only real truck and drive line shop in the area, and that sucks big time because I'm forced to go back there unless I want to drive an hour and a half to Omaha.
I have two complaints about this company, both are drive line related.
First of which is in regards to the custom drive shaft I had them make for my brown truck, I went in there with both ends needed for the drive shaft (front for a 1356 TC, rear for a 70's Dana 70), gave them the length it needed to be was quoted $175 to weld the ends on to a new tube of the correct length.
5 days later I picked up my new drive shaft, they had replaced the (already new) universal joints in the ends I had supplied, and charged me for parts and labor to do that making the total for the drive shaft $420 +- a few. A FAR CRY from $175, not to mention I brought it back the next day, it was several inches shorter than what I'd told them to make it, they only fixed it free of charge after I'd driven away 3 customers with my irate cussing at the manager.
The second complaint I have about this company is in regards to a front transfercase yoke I bought from them. I did a D60 conversion and needed the yoke for the F350 front drive shaft that bolts onto the TC. Not only did they charge me more for it than what they had told me it would cost, it turned out to be the wrong one. When I went in to pick up the correct one and return the wrong one, they wouldn't accept the incorrect yoke. I still have that yoke sitting on my shelf to this day.

If I could avoid spending any of my money there I would, but the extra cost in fuel to drive elsewhere is just not worth it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Right Track Equipment, Corey Ziegenbein - Lincoln, Ne

This guy sold my brother a truck that he had sitting outside of his shop, told us the motor was a low mile rebuild with a bad valve, that it had only nicked the piston, and that the axles and transmission were recently rebuilt as well. After taking possession of the truck and disassembling the motor, we discovered he had lied through his teeth. The valve had punched a hole in the piston, and apparently after he had discovered this he must have left the engine outside for some time because the cylinders are rusted almost completely through. When confronted about the so called "runable short block" that was actually a boat anchor he told us "why is your problem my problem". He refuses to compensate us for the misrepresented engine, and the last time I went to his shop to discuss this with him he came running out at me yelling and spit in my face as he told me to "get the F off his property".
I realize this is more of a complaint to be heard by local people, but if this gets read by just one person and saves them from getting screwed its completely worth it.