The EGR--------------

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me the scoop... Unhook it or not...... There seems to be a lot of trouble with them on the 04's..... It seems like a simple unhook, but does the ses light stay on... What other side effects....

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is still hooked up, and I've never had a problem with it (03 engine), but you can buy a spare, plug it in, tie it down, and you won't set a light. I've heard they're over $200, but if you're worried about setting a light, that's the way to avoid it.

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 never tripped a light but left two EGR codes that could be erased.

Double oil change intervals and lower EGT's.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

NOGM

Reaction score
The only way to really disable the EGR is to cap off the exhaust inlet by welding the tube shut from what I have heard. The trouble with just unhooking the EGR valve is that the exhaust is still present in the EGR cooler which still heats up the coolant and can cause soot build up behind the valve. I know it is an involved process but it really is the only true way to do it and not have any problems with the system. In addition, Eric at Innovative Diesel has been working on disabling the EGR in the program which will eliminate any false readings that doing this mod may incur, eg; an SES light.

slingingsmoke

Reaction score
they usually throw a code/SES light in the smog/hippie/tree-hugging states (i.e. California) I know. I live here.