Tell me about transfer tanks....

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey all, I'm looking into putting a 100 gal tank in the bed. With prices this low I'd like to hold on to as much cheap fuel as possible. My question is to those who run these tanks. Do I need a pump off the top of the tank? Is one better than the other? Is there a weight to fuel consumption issue where it becomes useless to have that much fuel (i.e.: burning more just to carry more..) and how do you plumb it into the fuel supply?

Thanks in advance, I'm really trying to hold some surplus fuel for emergency's AND to have as long an operating range as possible.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Travis did one in E-1, it was a 120 gallon tank.

He plumbed his in with another Pollak Valve (Just like factory) and could switch from the drivers seat. He found that you need to pull from the top of the tank, like the factory ones do. He plumbed into the bottom of the tank at first, and the weight of the fuel would just "blow through" the valves...... switched to a top draw and eliminated that problem. He was able to drive for weeks before he had to fill up.......

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that a manual switching or is the Pollack valve a solenoid type thing? I've been reading some of the threads about going to manual fuel switching valves. I (knocking on wood..) have yet to have an issue with my FSV, but you never know. Would the transfer tank need it's own pump and filter?

Thanks..

pafixitman

Reaction score
Travis did one in E-1, it was a 120 gallon tank.

He was able to drive for weeks before he had to fill up.......

Drive for weeks without filling up maybe... Once he started spraying windshield juice his days were numbered! But damn it was fast!

Hijack over....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
is that a manual switching or is the Pollack valve a solenoid type thing? I've been reading some of the threads about going to manual fuel switching valves. I (knocking on wood..) have yet to have an issue with my FSV, but you never know. Would the transfer tank need it's own pump and filter?

Thanks..

Pollak is the manufacturer of the valve (they also made the factory one). It's electronic, just like the factory FSV. He had an electric pump, and only used the one. I think he added a second FSV toward the engine, ran the 2 lines from the factory FSV (the supply and return to the engine) into one port, and ran the bed tank to the other.... so he had 2 switches. The factory that switched between front and rear tank, and a second that ran the new valve, that was factory, or bed tank switch........

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Drive for weeks without filling up maybe... Once he started spraying windshield juice his days were numbered! But damn it was fast!

Hijack over....

Yep, we were just talking about that the other day......

BTW are you friends with him on FB? Seen his latest project?

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Once he started spraying windshield juice his days were numbered!":dunno

did he pop a fuel line or something?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Yep, we were just talking about that the other day......

BTW are you friends with him on FB? Seen his latest project?

I am friends with speedo wearing goat boy. Your name popped up yesterday I think to add as a friend...anyway... yep, a Chevy gas motor.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

UUUUMMMMMM.... No if it were only that simple and easy......

He was going for "More Power".... and had the the IDI turned up as much as he could, and then to get "a little more" he used water/**** injection. Well, instead of the little nozzle most systems use, you could put out a fire with what he put in...... At a rally, he was giving rides and when through 15 GALLONS of washer fluid over the weekend..... where most systems use a gallon or 2 over many thousands of miles..........

Basically he was hydrolocking the engine on EVERY compression stroke and started to push all 8 wrist pins through the piston..... the wrist pins actually were starting to flatten out..........

pafixitman

Reaction score

No, he had homemade **** injection using windshield washer fluid. He was probably the second or third member I met in person - Mel was the first. We headed down to Geonc's place in NC for a pig roast. It was him, Eric Boutin (up in Greenville, SC) and Mel from the IDI crowd and I bribed my wife at the time with a trip to Myrtle Beach if we took the truck and a detour.

Anyhow.... got to ride in the passenger seat while he damn near cavitated the motor with juice. ( I exaggerate a bit) That CC DRW ran like a scalded ape. I think he ran trough almost 10 gallons that weekend!

You are learning we are pretty tight knit group of guys. Some of us have been around here a long time and most defected from another site. Matter of fact my first post was.... My truck won't start when cold! Did glow plugs in my office parking lot 2 days later.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i was reading about that defection from TDS in a thread somewhere. icanfixall was talking about the trials and tribulations of R+D justin. It sounds like enough forum based drama for a lifetime. I can tell that the core guys who move this site along day-to-day with posts have been here awhile, and generally everyone likes each other. I know i'm not everyone's cup of coffee, and may have some wild-seeming opinions but I'm really a nice guy who tries to be respectful and get along with people.
About all that windshield washing fluid, all you can do is shake your head right? I can see where once you start to modify things and have some success, it might be harder to realize when to stop? I wonder how many dead engines lay in the path of the Crusade for "More Power." I personally have been mentally chewing on the idea of propane injection after reading over the Ziggster's page, but wouldn't dream of trying it without making absolutely sure I had it figured out.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bailed on TDS 12 to 15 years ago. Bad site!

Dave :(

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, it's mainly newer engines there now. I've watched some of the idi stuff though, people give some crazy advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never willingly go there anymore. I read quite a bit over there when I was doing research before buying my truck. That was only last summer, it may have taken me awhile to figure out which site was legit but I got here eventually:D

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also. I just realized that I should ask about my lack of coolant expansion tank. Previous owner took it out I think to do a relay mod for the front lights. He HAD to remove the tank, obviously nowhere else to put two small relays..(sarcasm btw.) Honestly, I've been looking at this for months and not seeing it. Would this explain my engine temp idiot light being on? When I originally got the truck checked out after buying it the mechanic said not to worry about it, but that place has since become a "no go" for me after they missed some obvious things during my PAID inspection.
Which sensor controls the Engine Temp Light? I'm not over-heating, but with a drive to NOLA and back coming up soon I want to make sure I'm not going to do damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online