Tekonsha prodigy?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have one laying around from an newer pickup I use to own. Will it be a bear to wire into my idi? It was basically plug and play in the escalade as I remember it.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Will work in your truck no problem. I have two- just put the new P3 in my Jeep and they both work great! It won't be as plug and play as your Escalade, but its only 4 wires and pretty easy to figure out.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put one in my 95 while I get the 87 up a running. Everything works, just not as well as I thought. I have a tandem bbq trailer of unknown weight as it sits. It has dexter 6000 lb axles but I used dexter 7000 lb backing plates.

It does a really good job stopping me but it will not lock the wheels.

From my experience at work, I should be able to lock all four at 15 to 20 mph.

When I hooked it up I did not have the option of using the plug and play adapter.

I wired it as the wires were marked, easy enough I thought.
Battery to battery, groung to the ground, the blue brake wire to the blue wire to the trailer plug, and the last wire to the brake light switch.

The brake switch is where I have question.
Can I use the brake wire off of the brake switch at the pedal?
I am just starting to second guess myself since it didnt lock the brakes.

And just for the record, Yes I did adjust the level balance and also the gain.
Level is set to just forward of center and the gain is 3/4 forward of straight up.

Guys I am not attempting to high jack this thread, but merely point out to others like my self that may not know if the brake switch wire is the correct spot to hook to.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I wired it as the wires were marked, easy enough I thought.
Battery to battery, groung to the ground, the blue brake wire to the blue wire to the trailer plug, and the last wire to the brake light switch.

The brake switch is where I have question.
Can I use the brake wire off of the brake switch at the pedal?
I am just starting to second guess myself since it didnt lock the brakes.

And just for the record, Yes I did adjust the level balance and also the gain.
Level is set to just forward of center and the gain is 3/4 forward of straight up.

Guys I am not attempting to high jack this thread, but merely point out to others like my self that may not know if the brake switch wire is the correct spot to hook to.

It sounds like you have it wired correctly.

Wire Color Pin Function
Black A Fused battery 12v+ power
Red B Signal - from stop lamp
White C Ground
Blue D Controller output to trailer brakes

Have you tried watching the "current" (Amps) screen in the troubleshooting menu to see what the controller is sending to the trailer?

I can lock the trailer brakes quite easily on mine- in fact I had to back mine down because it would lock 'em up too quickly.

Are your trailer brakes adjusted up good? I crawled under mine and pulled the pads up on the drum- it surprised me how far I had to turn the adjuster before the pads started dragging. Good luck and let us know if you find the problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 93's have the plug in under the dash in the center. If it came with the tow pkg. the wire's to the 7-way are tucked up in the frame at the rear drivers side, and the wires at the front are wrapped in the cable going to the rear.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I spent the big bucks on one of those things and it s a dang good thing I spent the extra money on camping worlds extended warranty that coveres the thing supposedly no questons asked ( but they ask a stink pile of questions anyway :backoff Over teh last few years Mines been broken more then it's worked, thankfully I always keep a spare wired up that can be plugged in , in a few seconds in event of failure on a hill, but my el cheapo REese $40 special has been in service for years and never failed, while teh mucho high dollar Prodigy goes TU at every opportunity . Yeah, it's got all kinds of fancy stuff on it, but that doesn't do much good when it itsn't working -cuss Folks can say it's whatever this that or the other causing the problems, but I really don't care what it is, if my $40 Reese will work just fine everytime I plug it up, then the blamed multi hundred dollar prodigy should too