Symptoms of Clogged Fuel Filter

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys a few days ago i had to crank my truck twice...for about 10 seconds each time before it fired. Then yesterday i only cranked it once but it took about 10 seconds before it fired. In between these two times i had started it a dozen times and it started right up. Then today i tried to start it and it wouldnt start, i cranked it 4 times for about 10 seconds each time(leting the starter cool in between) and it would not fire. So after talking to a buddy he told me to get some carb cleaner and spray it in the intake to see if it will attempt to fire. It is attemps to fire then ive got a fuel problem. Well i ran to the store and picked up some carb cleaner and a new fuel filter. Got home and got my bro to spray carb cleaner in the intake while i crank and it fired instantly. So i shut it off and changed my fuel filter. I filled the new filter with dieselkleen and she fired right up. Im just wondering if a bad fuel filter will cause a truck to not start at all? Even though it starts now i dont know if i really fixed anythig since the starting problem happened only once and awhile. I guess ill find out in the next few days if it decided not to start again. I feel 100 times better after hearing my truck fire instead of just turning over.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
clogged filter will make it hard to start and also you will usually notice your power falling off before it gets to that point.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt notice any difference in power and the filter light never came on. so its sounding like my fuel filter had nothing to do with it not starting.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt notice any difference in power and the filter light never came on. so its sounding like my fuel filter had nothing to do with it not starting.

The most vital gauge on a diesel is a MECHANICAL fuel-pressure gauge, plumbed in down-stream of the filter; without one, all trouble-shooting is throw-a-filter-at-it guess work.

Better yet are TWO gauges, one each side of the filter, thus you can monitor pump health versus filter blockage.

Make the next thing you spend money on be a fuel-pressure gauge, and it's necessary accoutrements, pulse-snubber, 1/8NPT ball-cut-off valve, gauge-line, etc.; you will thank me later.;Sweet

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most vital gauge on a diesel is a MECHANICAL fuel-pressure gauge, plumbed in down-stream of the filter; without one, all trouble-shooting is throw-a-filter-at-it guess work.

Better yet are TWO gauges, one each side of the filter, thus you can monitor pump health versus filter blockage.

Make the next thing you spend money on be a fuel-pressure gauge, and it's necessary accoutrements, pulse-snubber, 1/8NPT ball-cut-off valve, gauge-line, etc.; you will thank me later.;Sweet

can you or someone explain this alittle more? does anybody have pictures? if its going to make troubleshooting problems easier ill all for it.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or if in my case the truck will die while driving down the freeway and you will find yourself in the middle lane trying to get over to the side before you stop moving. :)