Stock Air Filters

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
keeping your warranty in force.

changing filter manufacturers will not void a warranty since the Magnuson-Moss Act

read Tie-In Sales section

pick the one thats a brand of your choice from where ever you want to buy it and run it... your not going to void your warranty as long as its a drop in "stock replacement" type filter... a high flow intake might cause a fuss... not just the filter

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Why not use a K&N and never buy a filter again? I will not use a paper filter in anything.

I'm just the opposite, after switching to a big open element paper filter I will never use a K&N again.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Airraid has a syn filter that goes in place of the stiocker... And its the right price... I would do that... K&N relies on a oil to catch dirt... Others use media..

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I'm just the opposite, after switching to a big open element paper filter I will never use a K&N again.

same here... i have reverted back to using a stock paper filter (till i get a tymar) after using the drop in k&n... no noticable loss in power, increase in EGT, decrease in milleage

the only thing that changes is that the dirt that the K&N was missing that i noticed in my intake hose is gone... to each his own but they let to much junk by for me

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the problems with these reuseable filters is that they are oiled to much... If they have too much oil, your diesel will suck the stuff through the filter since its breathing capabilities are hindered by the oil....

I have a hard time with this, since you really want to oil the filter up when you clean it.. not a good thing... Thats why I go with a better filter that uses more than just oil and foam to catch dirt...

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Personally I can't find anything wrong with the stock Donaldson filter. I have zero plans of changing to anything else.

I would like to "try" some of the other "top" brands - hook up the AutoEnginuity and take readings from the sensors comparing them to the stock.

Ron

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
How do they let to much junk by when they are garanteed to give the best filtration?

like i said to each his own but they let dirt by on my truck, you could litteraly see it in the intake tube and i had the gasket sealed with grease so it had to come through the filter

it also correlates with what this guy said in his research

some people like them, i'm not one of them

the only answer i can give you on the garantee is that if i crap in a box i can garantee it to do anything and some will swear that it does if marketed correctly... but that doesn't mean it actually does

yes the K&N probably does give you a hp. or 2 at WOT but to me the lower leval of filtration is just not worth it... it also seem counter procuction on a truck that we are all trying to get oil out of the intake by ccv mods and so on to just reintroduce it in the form of mist coming out of the air filter

it also depends on how long you keep your truck.. if you trade every few years then a k&n will most likely cause any wear on your truck but if you are like me and keep them untill it is totally worn out, i like to keep it alive as long as possible

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I have 475 K on my 88 7.3L work truck and I run the **** out of it. I have always used a K&N on it oiled it correctly and used Amsoil and their filters with their by pass system. I have so little blow by it is really hard to see and almost zero smoke except when you start it till the cyl temps come up to completely burn the fuel. I put the turbo on it with 200 K and have never noticed any dirt in my air intake system. I think it goes to how you maintain you $hit. Plus a little oil in the intake from the filter aint hurting nothing thats just more fuel to burn. ;)

Last edited:

tgatch

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
I have 475 K on my 88 7.3L work truck and I run the **** out of it. I have always used a K&N on it oiled it correctly and used Amsoil and their filters with their by pass system. I have so little blow by it is really hard to see and almost zero smoke except when you start it till the cyl temps come up to completely burn the fuel. I put the turbo on it with 200 K and have never noticed any dirt in my air intake system. I think it goes to how you maintain you $hit. Plus a little oil in the intake from the filter aint hurting nothing thats just more fuel to burn. ;)

You are probably right, but I do know that GM has a TSB telling the GM mechanics to remove a K&N if found and replace with a Delco filter if trouble shooting intake issues. Most people over oil causing their own issues. But I have also seen an independent study that shows that K&N Loses filtration capability for every washing.

It is a personal choice. I know that I had build up in the throttle body of my 97 Wrangler with a K&N. After seeing the study I pulled it from my Jeep and my F150. I will stick with my Ford/Donaldson/Wix filters. I've got almost 30K on my original one and all seems well. If I get 40 to 60K out of it, I think I can cough up $40 for that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.