Still will not start, now what?

Reaction score
My 6BT still will not start and I have no idea what else to do. I have replaced the lift pump with a piston driven one, removed and blew out the lines, replaced the filter, and cleaned the tank. Fuel is flowing through the system. I bled it just like it is described in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UuMgm8BZc&feature=related
Very good information in all three of them. I hear the solenoid clicking when I hit the key and fuel in flowing through the lines to the injectors but the damn thing still will not start. What else is there for me to do?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Im not very familar with the 12v's but it is getting plenty of air the air filter isnt stopped up? It is turning over plenty fast? Also have you taken the injectors out to see what they look like?

-Jordan-

Reaction score
I pulled the tubing off the turbo so getting air is not an issue. It turns over great. I was going to pull the injectors but it ran before so I figured they should be okay. Even with dirty injectors it should still at least try to start.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i mean depending how long it sat the injectors could be clogged or rusted. Also are you getting any puffs of white smoke while its cranking? Could be a worn or out of time VE pump.

-Jordan-

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Make sure the solenoid is getting the right voltage. It may be getting enough power to switch it but not enough to hold it closed. You need about 10 PSI of fuel pressure to run the engine, but with the new lift pump that shouldn't be a problem. It's possible the VE is out of time and not firing. The injectors sound like they should be OK as well.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it involves removing the timing cover the same as you'd tab the KDP. Inside, where the VE pump's gear contacts the timing gears, I believe there is a timing mark on each.

Reaction score
Dman man, I just want this thing running for now. When I pull the engine to swap it over I planned to go though it pretty well. This is tuning into a lot more than I have time to get into. The thing that gets me is it was running and from what I hear running great.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Timing the pump is an extreme thing. I'd check everything else; fuel pressure to the pump and to the injectors, power to the solenoid, etc. May want to pull the injectors and soak them in some injector cleaner in case one is sticking and not firing. Check all your lines from the intake to the manifold; you could even pull the intake manifold and see if a bird has built a nest in there. It's possible you have an intake restriction (the same applies to the exhaust).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online