Still White Smoke after EGR delete???

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
The truck I've been working on is an 05 f250 with a 6.0 diesel and 170,000 miles. The complaint was white smoke coming out of the exhaust, great its the egr cooler, (which it was faulty). The owner noted no lose in power, or excessive coolant temperatures, and the exhaust never smelled like coolant, but there was some coolant lose over time. So he wanted to delete the whole egr system and I did and finished it today, but guess what when it got warm it started smoking again-cuss-cuss, lots of power but white smoke that turns to a black haze then clear at the tail pipe when it is floored, he did say that the temp gauge before all this happened about 4 weeks ago, the temp gauge shot up some but settled down again, (up next to the red). So now I'm thinking a cracked head??? There was evidence of water in the oil but not very much just enough to turn in slightly milky. I'm not ruling out a blown head gasket but a cracked head seems more likely. Any suggestions. Sorry for it being long winded its been a -cuss day.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possibly headgaskets-does it puke coolant out the degas bottle? thats normally what they do when the headgaskets are a little burned- factory test procedure is to put a pressure gauge in system if it gets over 20psi headgaskets are blown

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya most of em will smoke after repair until you do a couple WOT accel runs

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was evidence of water in the oil but not very much just enough to turn in slightly milky.

This is not normal - and head gasket leakage will not put water in the oil. A cracked head will though. Most commonly, it is a leaking oil cooler.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not normal - and head gasket leakage will not put water in the oil. A cracked head will though.

Not necessarly. It depends on what happened with the head gasket. If it was close to both coolant and oil passages the two can mix. I had a 94 Taurus with a 3.8 and there was a recall on the 3.8 for that very issue. I owned the car for a whole week (bought used from a Ford Dealer) and got a replacement engine......

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarly. It depends on what happened with the head gasket. If it was close to both coolant and oil passages the two can mix. I had a 94 Taurus with a 3.8 and there was a recall on the 3.8 for that very issue. I owned the car for a whole week (bought used from a Ford Dealer) and got a replacement engine......

The 6.0L is not designed the same way as the other vehicles you mentioned. Since this is the 6.0L forum, I answered the way I did.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a blown egr cooler can allow some coolant to get by the rings & mix with the oil.

This is a lot more likely than a head gasket leak getting coolant into the oil, but even then it isn't a typical failure, and usually you hear about it hydrolocking more than you do dumping cooant into the oil (and you will know that you have a problem w/ the white smoke that smells like coolant).

Last edited:

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
If it doesn't need head gaskets now, I'm sure it will in the near future. Work on alot of these at the shop, and sell a lot of EGR deletes for that very reason.

Bryce