STERLING REAR HUB?????

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from AutoZone. Same two piece design.
I've got one of those too, to be installed at some future point. I haven't installed it though, so I'm not sure on how well it will work.
The one I have is *not* SKF/Scotseal branded, it's something else, some major brand name.

Do you have any feedback on yours?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, mine has been great.
I wanted to say mine were timken, but doesn't look like AutoZone has those anymore. Just the duralast 370047A. Even came with the install tool.

Apparently I did a "no no" and used rtv on the install, but many recommendations I found said to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been assembling these for years and have never seen anybody pack with grease. even when I worked at the Ford dealer 88-99 . never seen it in heavy truck application other than Hino, but they have a seal in there to block oil from getting into the wheel bearings.

the 10.25 is a pretty simple axle to work on if you have a hub nut tool homemade or otherwise.

if you wanted to use the hubs for a trailer axle packing them might be a good idea, then you wouldn't need oil in the housing..................

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all...
I had not looked at the rear wheel bearing section in regard to grease when I started this thread...
Now I see the drum is outside the hub, and does not require hub removal to service the shoes.

Fwiw
My fsm state's pack bearings with long life grease pn yadda yadda.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When servicing ANY FULL FLOAT axle even oil bathed...it is a good idea to lightly pack bearings w grease. This is indicated in the FSM and it has been my best practice for 30 years w nary an issue with dry bearings.

You can go full load when done this way...no fartijg around jacking truck up side to side...drive it on a bank two ways and recheck fluid level afterwards.

Easy peasy...pack bearing wipe off excess wet bearing races....w greasy finger install hubs torque n voila done

JM10.25CW Eh!.....see what Indid there LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They weren't cheap here. Think I bought from rock auto or Amazon.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riot you get whatcha needed?
I can dig out my recipts......