Steel fuel lines

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a turbo in still. Had to take off the steel line to the back left injector to tighten pedestal all the way. I'm having trouble getting it back on the injector. The line seems to have an adapter of some sort and I feel like if I am able to take it off, I will be able to get it on injector. I just don't want to mess with the timing if I take this peice off. I will include picture. If I can't take this off without effecting anything, what would you guys suggest? Can I bend the steel line without it breaking? Thank you all in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, that is one ***** injector line. that line needs to be replaced immediately. it looks to me that at some point in time that line broke and someone put a compression fitting on to fix it.

you can get a new line or source one from some members on here. also make sure all the line clamps are on.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I'm trying to get this thing running today.... that's a pain. No way I can bend the lines and not damage them?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could make it work but it really should be replaced. just remember there isn't 10 psi going through that line.

I would be checking all the local parts stores or salvage yards for that line. you can post it in the wanted section, someone close by might have one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 on immediate replacement.
that's a great emergency fix, but that's it.
you cannot rebend the line.
1) it will break if you try
2) these lines are all the same length for timing reasons.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. That is a fix to get you home. Nothing more. I would not loosen that fitting and try to get the nut to fit the injector either. The lines require the vibration dampners on them too. I bet someone before you removed them and did not replace them. They are easy to find. Just search the wrecking yards. Any 6.9 or 7.3 idi engine will be the same. Also this repaired line is the number 7 injector and it to is the same from 6.9 to 7.3. If you can loosen the line at the injection pump you might be able to make enough slop in the line to get it to fit the injector. Otherwise just replace the line.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As already posted. That is a fix to get you home. Nothing more. I would not loosen that fitting and try to get the nut to fit the injector either. The lines require the vibration dampners on them too. I bet someone before you removed them and did not replace them. They are easy to find. Just search the wrecking yards. Any 6.9 or 7.3 idi engine will be the same. Also this repaired line is the number 7 injector and it to is the same from 6.9 to 7.3. If you can loosen the line at the injection pump you might be able to make enough slop in the line to get it to fit the injector. Otherwise just replace the line.

Gary, I think its important to point out that 7.3 and the 6.9 are different lengths.
use either the 7.3 lines with the timing adapter or the 6.9 lines without the adapter.
both can be used with all of its corresponding lines.
don't mix and match.

and do not loosen that fitting, the compression farrels are bent when you tighten it, and may cause a leak.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also looks like your missing the vibration dampener clamps. That's probably why that line broke in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression fittings are available in both brass and steel. That one looks like steel. Steel will hold a lot of pressure. And the condition of the paint on the line and union indicates the union has been there a long time, and does not appear to be going anywhere. But there is #7 line on eBay for $55.

The lines are easier to connect if you leave the first end lose while you start the second. However, if that is the only way you can get the second end started, that also means you will put a strain on one or both ends when you tighten them. With a little effort you can reform the lines enough that they will align properly with the injectors, and not be under stress.

We were across country and got a crack in a line next to the machined end. I wrapped the crack with dental floss, and that reduced a spray to a slow drip. A propane torch from Walmart and 45% silver brazing alloy and flux from a welding supply fixed it. I was supposed to braze all the fittings as a preventive, but it is still on the list after a few years and a few more cross country trips.

I bought an 89 E350 for the 7.3 to put in my 84 E350. I did nothing to the engine except clean and paint it. A few years later I swapped the injector pump. I did not encounter anything I would identify as a "vibration damper". Anyone have a picture?

I live in SoCal. I swapped the pump at the end of a dead end road, in a small state park, in W Virginia, during their epoch storm, while blocked in by fallen trees. And doesn't everyone carry a spare pump?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another word would be line clamp. they are like a belt you put around your waste, but they keep the injection line from vibrating.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The early 6.9 lines are 60 thousands LONGER than the later hard lines. This 60 thousands does not amount to enough to make a difference really. Each side of the engine injector hard lines have 2 clamps connecting them together. In this flat clamp is a manufactured black piece of rubber that is formed to hold the lines separate. Those are the vibration clamps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of messed up things on IDI's, but that's a new one! Geez.... we've got lines and clamps in stock.