Steaming NEED HELP!!

brooks1340

Reaction score
New to the site and in need of some help! I have a 94 7.3 idi turbo (factory) F350 that I need help troubleshooting. Currently I have steam ( yes steam not just blow by, alot of condensation under oil cap and mayo looking crap under valve cover driver side possibly passenger side havnt pulled it yet) this steam is coming out of dip stick oil fill cap and cdr valve (also mayo looking crap blowing out of cdr). Losing some coolant but not alot and smoking white smoke all the time (smoke doesn't smell sweet smells like fuel). No info from previous owner, and truck runs strong and didn't over heat........yet. Any ideas? Cracked head? Head gasket? Block worm

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek:. Do you have bubbles coming from the radiator when engine is idling, or coolant gushing from overflow tank? This does sound like a head gasket failure. I am assuming you have coolant in the oil. Issue will need to be resolved quickly because antifreeze in engine oil will wipe out your bearings. Really no way to tell if cylinder head is cracked until they are removed and magnafluxed by a machine shop.
I would use a combustion leak detector if you have one available. Others will chime in and help out.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...&kw=LIS75500&gclid=CMytm7SclMQCFYOSfgodbCMAWQ

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. With what you have posted I can only guess whats wrong but. You definitely have coolant getting into the oil and as posted. thats really ******* the crank bearings. How many miles are on this engine and how long have you owned this rig. The worst it can be is cavitation of the block requiring a complete sleeving of all cylinders. The least it could be is the oil cooler o rings are shot and leaking coolant into the oil. Thats also the cheapest easy place to start looking for a coolant leak. But let me say once again its only a guess.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, welcome to the site. We have a good crew of people here on OB willing to help 24/7. Please fill out your signature so we know what kind of truck you have. Also take a look at the stickies for newbies, hall of shame etc. How many miles are on the engine? Have you/previous owner been keeping up on SCA additives in coolant? Any previous work done on the engine?? How much coolant are you using?? Give us the details so we can help you out!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome...PLEASE read the FAQ's and take some time to go through the tech articles, also SEARCH function is good tool!

Blown gaskets
Cracked block or heads
UHG...C a V i T a T i O n....this one is badazz rot...

JM2CW

brooks1340

Reaction score
There is some white grease looking stuff from water mixing on the side of the oil dip stick but think it is from the steam, no actual water in oil when I drained it

brooks1340

Reaction score
225,000 miles
oil cooler has been rebuilt
new injectors and glow plugs
normal maintenance
not sure if previous owner kept up on sca additive but if it was a hole in the block I would think the rad pressure would bleed off after shut down and put water in the oil pan

brooks1340

Reaction score
Former owner kept no records, I have had the truck a few weeks now and this started about 1 week ago,but I have no loss of power, starts easy, and idles good??????

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the things I have read on here was the importance of getting the engine up to running temp for a bit and reduce short trips, especially during the winter. If the condensation the forms in cold motors doesn't have time to burn off it can create that milky sludge in the oil.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Change the oil, then keep an eye on the coolant level and check the oil for foam ie milky sludge

brooks1340

Reaction score
Have changed oil and have no milky foam or sludge in oil, nor like white yellow grease in areas described above and what I am getting is way to excessive to be cold motor condensation there is a crap load of this so called white grease commin out of car tube and a crap ton of water vapor

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
One of the things I have read on here was the importance of getting the engine up to running temp for a bit and reduce short trips, especially during the winter. If the condensation the forms in cold motors doesn't have time to burn off it can create that milky sludge in the oil.

Doing valve cover gaskets:

Installed a new thermostat two days ago. Thinkin its just condensation

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can do a pressure test on your cooling system to see if there's a leak. That's probably the easiest way to rule out condensation. If you don't have access to the stuff needed or don't want to buy it, you can take it to a shop and have them do the test.