Square shaped Banks air filter housing?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The major problem of doing away with the big square air box on a early Banks turbo, is the the box has two functions.
1, It holds the air filter (to which the air flows from the inside of the filter to the outside of the filter).
2, The bottom half of the casting makes the connection from the turbo to the intake manifold.

SO, to remove it completely you would need a custom intake hat like Rob "350 Blizzard" made.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The major problem of doing away with the big square air box on a early Banks turbo, is the the box has two functions.
1, It holds the air filter (to which the air flows from the inside of the filter to the outside of the filter).
2, The bottom half of the casting makes the connection from the turbo to the intake manifold.

SO, to remove it completely you would need a custom intake hat like Rob "350 Blizzard" made.

Not on one like mine. The airbox and intake hat are two separate pieces that are held together by two bolts inside the big square airbox. You could easily take the airbox off and replace it with a ghost tube and cone filter attached directly to the turbo inlet...

Dunno if that is the case for all of them or not though...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Not on one like mine. The airbox and intake hat are two separate pieces that are held together by two bolts inside the big square airbox. You could easily take the airbox off and replace it with a ghost tube and cone filter attached directly to the turbo inlet...

Dunno if that is the case for all of them or not though...

OK I think you have the 1st style air box, the later ones were one piece.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I think you have the 1st style air box, the later ones were one piece.

So does the newer style have one L-O-O-O-N-G bolt to secure the whole thing to the throat of the manifold through the top? Or is that bolt inside under the top cover?

Mine, the hat is secured to the manifold by one center bolt, and then there are two studs on top of the hat that go through the bottom of the air box and have nuts on them inside the airbox to secure it to the top of the hat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody proved it yet, but I theorize a Hypermax intake hat could be used in place of the box. Then just fab up your own Moose Air/Godzilla Air/John Air, what have you.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The hold down bolt is under the lid. You have to remove the 8 bolts on the lid first then remove the hold down bolt inside.