something isnt right with this 6leaker....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what if i want something with more fuel flow? stock injectors are a 7:1 ratio right?

when i get injectors id like to get something that will flow a little more fuel.

now that my IDI is my daily, ive been thinking about putting a programmer on it and getting some more power.

perhaps i should post this in the 7.3 forum......
got sidetracked.. dont bash me too hard lol

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 PSD would have probably just chewed up the filter parts and kept on going! :p Mmmm fiber!
(Heavily laced with sarcasm of course)

I've been using Napa gold fuel, oil and air filters on my 7.3 PSD and they seem to work just fine. but the 6.0 is a picky beast, I wouldn't use anything other than OEM filters on that one.

I'd be running away from that one as well man!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The one on the left was the aftermarket filter and the Motocraft one is on the right. Doesn't look like a big difference but is enough proof to keep the drainback valve partially opened.
And I think your right about the 7.3l's appetite. LOL

attachment.php

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, on the 6.0 both Oil and Fuel Filters matter A LOT!!!! The 7.3 is a bit more forgiving. One difference between the 7.3 and the 6.0 is the Oil Filter on the 7.3 is a spin-on canister filter , just like the IDI's (Which is why you can use the FL 1995 for the PSD on the IDI's. The oil bypass is in the oil cooler header, (the IDI and 7.3PSD are very similar in design, but NOT THE SAME). On the 6.0, it is a cartridge filter, located on top of the engine in an aluminum housing with some type of composite lid. The bypass is built into this housing. There is also a drain valve in the bottom of the housing. When the proper filter is in place, the drain valve is completely closed. This drain valve allows the oil in the filter housing to drain back to the pan during a oil and filter change. Many of the aftermarket ones are slightly shorter than the OEM filter, allowing this valve to leak. The "felt" on the very bottom of the filter, around where the standpipe enters the filter (this is also described in the video I posted). This felt ring is what keeps the dirty and clean oil separate. On aftermarket filters, many times these are plastic, and if/when it breaks, the clean an dirty oil mix, sending dirty oil and shrapnel into the engine. The oil cooler is in the valley rather than an external mounted "log" like the IDI and 7.3PSD.

Also, the fuel filter system is different. As you know, the 7.3 uses the one "bowl filter" on the front of the engine. The 6.0 has 2 filters. A large, primary filter/water separator on the drivers frame rail in the HFCM. It is a 10 micron filter and water block. There is a secondary, much smaller fuel filter on top of the engine next to the oil filter, which is a 4 micron filter. Both of these are also a cartridge type filter. There is not the "bowl" like the 7.3 has.

A "readers digest version" of the injection event is: (I know you have done some research, but this puts is here for future viewing)

Low pressure fuel (~60-70 PSI) is pumped into the fuel rail cast into the heads. This fills a chamber in the lower part (Closer to the injection tip) with fuel for this injection event. At the correct time the FICM open a shuttle valve in the top of the injector, allowing high presser lube oil to enter the oil side of the injector. This oil is anywhere from 500PSI (6.0 must make at least 500PSI to crack the injector to start) up to 4,000PSI at WOT. This oil pushes on an intensifier piston in the "middle' of the injector between the fuel and oil sides of the injector. This is a 3:1 intensifier ratio. Meaning at that 4,000 PSI @ WOT, the fuel is being pushed on to make the injection event at 12,000 PSI. This pressure is what causes the fuel to be atomized into the cylinder. I think the 6.0 is still a single shot, or maybe a split shot type of injector. This is why the 6.0 is still noisy like the older diesels are. The 6.0 is also a dead head fuel rail, there is not a return from the injector, only the secondary filter housing. At the end of the event, the FICM closed the shuttle valve. This shuttle valve is loud enough to hear, and is a part of the engine running noise. It is a ligher fluttery noise, right before the knock of the combustion event. This shuttle valve is also the cause of the infamous "stiction" problem 6.0's can have.

The 6.4 and up use a piezo injector (Like EFI Gassers) use. The 6.4 uses 5 separate injection events per power stroke, which helps with efficiency and noise. Of course they killed any economy gains with the DPF/REGEN that dumps fuel into the engine during the exhaust stroke to drive up EGT's in the exhaust system to burn the crap out of the DPF. (That is how it works if you have ever wondered).

Just to give you an idea of what the fuel filters look like, here is I thread I did some time back talking about the filters:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?53659-Fuel-Filter-Warning!!!

I will be the first to admit it. I am **** about the maintenance on my 6.0. I may let some of the other vehicles, and even other parts of the Ex go, but the ENGINE get serviced ON TIME, EVERY TIME. It gets full synthetic oil (Have been using DELO) and filter every 5,000 miles and fuel filters every 10,000 miles. Motorcraft filters EVERYTIME. I am going to start getting my filters from IH because they are lower cost, but they are still the RIGHT FILTER. The oil filters are actually made by RACOR for IH and FORD......... This method has given my 149,000 miles of trouble free service. Only engine issues I've had is a failed water pump, and a failed ICP (The factory one that Ron replaced in July 2013 and is still going strong), a failed FICM due to battery/alt issues and an external coolant leak to the EGR Cooler (Which resulted in it being deleted). Other than that, I feed it and drive it!!!!!!!!

Sorry this was long winded, but I've had a 6.0 for 8 years...... so I have done a lot of research to keep it, and me happy!!!