something isnt right with this 6leaker....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first of all, im just poking fun at 6.0's

anyways i have this buddy thats working on a 6.0
he's done head gaskets and a complete EGR upgrade from Sinister.
head studs as well

he tried to fire it off, with the GP disconnected, and a very small blast of eather.
he said it fired, but when he tried to hit the pedal, it died and wouldnt fire back off.

he's got the coolant system still disconnected.

i went over this morning, and he's got some puffing coming out of the intake.
it will pull hard through the intake, but then it sounds like a bad valve and it pushes a bit of air out.

could this be a bent intake valve?

he's got oil pressure at the gauge, and fuel.
he's cleared the codes, but it will not fire.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Was it eating coolant, is that why he did the EGR Work? He could have hydrolocked it and bent a rod or maybe something in the valvetrain......

Did he remove the HPOP or drain the HPOP res? They will take FOREVER to fire off "dry", same with your 01...... I'm with you, sounds like something in the valvetrain is hanging open..... me maybe, god forbid, he dropped something in the open intake and it is jammed in a valve........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well today it threw its first CPS code.
one will be here monday.

the heads were just re-done at the machine shop.

he didnt mess with the hpop, but when you do the heads it takes forever to oil. and it sucks.
but he did spray eather in it, and most likely the glow plug system was connected.
it did fire, but would not fire again. even on crack.

ended the day slamming my beer and going home.

its just really really odd to me that it will suck air down the intake but once every rotation it will push some air out...
im saying its a bent intake valve.
which is most likely a thrown rod bearing from the gate. that decided to have *********** with an intake valve.

edit: dont know what it was doing before the head refurbish...

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went over to the shop that has this rig....
they still havnt gotten it running.
they tried to tell me,
"were bringing it over to your house"
TO HELL YOU ARE!
they have it mostly buttoned up, but still cannot get it to run without eather.

i told them to buy a new lift pump and ill go help them tomorrow for a couple of hours.

this is a 04 6oah
a couple of questions,

1) these engines are fuel dependent on oil pressure, correct?
he has oil pressure at the gauge.

2) do these heads have a huge oil galley like the 7.3 PSD?
is there a way to bleed off the air in the top oiling system?

3) whatelse would cause a no fuel situation?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Yes, they are HEUI Injectors just like your 7.3. Could have a HPOP issue......

2) They do have the oil galleys in the heads, and do have a res at the HPOP, not sure of any ticks to purge the oil....

3) No Fuel: - Not trying to be a smartass, just covering all the bases...... sometimes it really is the simple things.......

Tank Empty
Plugged Primary Filter - In the HFCM inside drivers side frame rail, below drivers door, tight next to the transfer case, need a 36mm to open the housing
Failed Lift Pump - In HFCM, electric lift pump, runs 60+ PSI
Plugged Secondary Filter - On top of the engine, smaller cartridge housing toward drivers side front of engine
Failing/failed FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module, mounted to drivers valve cover - goto http://www.ficmfixer.com/ and look at the testing/removal link to check it out....
Blown Fuse(s) to HFCM/FICM/PCM....... does it have a CEL at the moment?
Do they have an inertia switch, like an EFI Gasser, maybe they tripped it...
Does it have enough oil in the pan?
ICP/IPR issues?

Will it stay running after it gets going on crack, or does it only run on crack? If it just needs crack to get going, I would check glowplugs or the controller on the passenger valve cover.

That is all that I can think of at the moment.....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only runs off of crack.
going to check IPR, ICP, Ficm and snc in the AM
we will see where it stands, the way it turns over, is even it does not seem like a compression issue.
one thing i do suspect is that he has the IPR and ICP plugs swapped.
gonna moniter the 4 i mentioned during cranking and see whats up.
also going to pull the oil cap and fuel cap, and crank over to see if there solid.
and full.
he said he rebuilt the lift pump....
i called him out on this and told him to have another one waiting for me in the morning.
i dont know if he did anything to the injection pump itself.

im still green on the fuel injection pumps on either of the engines, besides the IDI, i know how to retard one of those really really well! :D

sometimes being a smart ass knocks sense into a *******..lol

ill report back in the AM

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something is royally screwd.
FMP = 49
IRP is good,
it sync's
280 psi = ICP
diag.
bad pump. the dude screwed with it so im betting he screwed it up.
oil pres is good, it pumps great in the oil filter housing on top.
fuel pressure is very slowly upon ign on with cap off.
and drains down.
fuel should be supplied very quickly if 500 psi is required to start.

the engine, while cranking, does sound like its got compression issues. it oscillates on 1 cylinder.
the guy informed me today that an aftermarket oil filter was used and chunks of plastic was missing...
i couldnt get out of there fast enough...
im washing my hands with this truck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup.
he swore up and down that it was a motorcraft filter,
i showed him this exact video.
showed him the filter he had in it...

epic fail.

over a month ago he asked me if i wanted this job, i turned it down... thank god.

people that are "mechanics" and know nothing about diesels, should send these to a diesel mechanic.

i guess these engines only have 1 fuel pump?
on the frame rail.
ill stick to my 7.3's!!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, there is only 1 lift pump on the 7.3 and 6.0 PSD's.

The early 7.3 has the mechanical in the valley, the later ones have the electric on the frame rail.

The 6.0 has the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - Lift Pump, Primary (10mic) filter, Water Separator, WIF sensor and fuel heater (If Eqqupped).

They both use a HPOP in the valley to run the oil side of the injectors......

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
the guy informed me today that an aftermarket oil filter was used and chunks of plastic was missing...
i couldnt get out of there fast enough...
im washing my hands with this truck.

That comment right there tells me pull it and rebuild it time is near for that engine.

It irritates the **** out of me that people feel aftermarket filters and sensors are ok to run on these engine. NOT!!

Just getting finished rebuilding my buddys 04 that due to similar scenario.
The volume of oil that these engine use require a good free flowing LPOP system. The pickup screen was 50% plugged on this engine, due to oil filter media blockage, and the main bearings were starting to show some premature wear for 240k along with a bad cam lobe and failed roller lifter. It got a full go thru before it went back in.

Got another bullet proof on the stand now that had hard starts cold or hot. Hmmmm Napa oil filter.... The aftermarket filters are 1/8" shorter that the OEM and allow the drain back to not fully seat closed and therefore let the canister drain out after shutdown and allow LP oil to pass back into the crankcase diminishing oil supply and pressure to the entire engine.
This one got lifters as a precaution since one of the rollers felt a little iffy.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That comment right there tells me pull it and rebuild it time is near for that engine.

It irritates the **** out of me that people feel aftermarket filters and sensors are ok to run on these engine. NOT!!

Just getting finished rebuilding my buddys 04 that due to similar scenario.
The volume of oil that these engine use require a good free flowing LPOP system. The pickup screen was 50% plugged on this engine, due to oil filter media blockage, and the main bearings were starting to show some premature wear for 240k along with a bad cam lobe and failed roller lifter. It got a full go thru before it went back in.

Got another bullet proof on the stand now that had hard starts cold or hot. Hmmmm Napa oil filter.... The aftermarket filters are 1/8" shorter that the OEM and allow the drain back to not fully seat closed and therefore let the canister drain out after shutdown and allow LP oil to pass back into the crankcase diminishing oil supply and pressure to the entire engine.
This one got lifters as a precaution since one of the rollers felt a little iffy.

Ron, this is exactly the reason I ONLY use Mototcraft or IH oil and fuel filters in my truck. The few dollars extra for the OEM filters is much less than a rebuild. It pays to be **** about maintenance on a 6 litre. It has worked well for me. Same reason the only call I made to get the ICP sensor was to Inskeep.....(local Ford dealer) when you changed it at the 13 rally.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil filters too?
ive done my homework now, as i really didnt know much about how the fuel pressure got to be the psi it needed to be with these little fuel pumps.

let me just say, ill be buying GOOD injectors very vwery soon. too bad i gotta take a 400 mile trip this weekend.
i only have ford direct replacements on my truck, besides oil filter.
really? oil filters matter too?
looks like ill be going to ford manyana.
new oil, new coolant, and new filters before my road trip.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
oil filters too?
ive done my homework now, as i really didnt know much about how the fuel pressure got to be the psi it needed to be with these little fuel pumps.

let me just say, ill be buying GOOD injectors very vwery soon. too bad i gotta take a 400 mile trip this weekend.
i only have ford direct replacements on my truck, besides oil filter.
really? oil filters matter too?
looks like ill be going to ford manyana.
new oil, new coolant, and new filters before my road trip.

Yep, the aftermarket filters just dont stand quite tall enough. LOL
If you'r looking for just stock injectors, I've found Mels to be the best pricing around and have had good luck with them so far in the trucks that I've installed in for customers and friends.