Some trailer towing questions

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I have a 93 F350 crew cab. I'm looking to add a 4" lift. I am also looking for a trailer hitch. It has a 10" custom rear bumper, and I assume I need a custom hitch to clear the bumper. Where can I get one?
I don't do alot of towing. Usually its a car with a tow dolly. I am looking to get a 24' camper trailer in the spring and I want my truck to better set up for towing. Is it possible to tow with a mild lift kit installed? I am thinking I can install a drop down reciever and then use a 6" drop hitch. What are the weight restrictions woith this set up?
My truck also has a gooseneck installed in the bed. From what I've seen, no campers are set up for a gooseneck. Why is that?
Thank you for all your help.
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
John,
You are not going to be able to drop the hitch. They all mount flush to the frame. What you will need is a drop mount reciever http://www.etrailer.com/c-BM.htm

Mel and I talked about the 5th versus goose. Best we can figure is the 5th wheel has more stability and since RVs have a lot of belongings inside it is more desirable.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Joe,
I know someone has to make a receiver that clears a "Texas step bumper", you know, one that is larger than a stock bumper. Once I clear that, then I have to use a drop down hitch. I already have a 6" drop hitch, just don't know if it would work once I install the 4" lift.
Do they make lifts for camper trailers???????:rotflmao
What about a WD for a drop down hitch?
John

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Do they make lifts for camper trailers???????

No not per sa but it's not uncommon for guys to take and "Flip the axles" on a trailer to raise it up to meet hitch height requirements... A lot of trailers have the axle mounted on top of their leaf springs so what guys do is to mount the axles under the springs - it gains them about 3-4 inches when then they can normally adjust their hitch set up to accomodate the rest of the offset.

I towed a 4k boat with a lifted truck a few years ago and what I noticed was that the boat trailer had a lot more effect on it after it was lifted even though I had a drop down receiver. Now I was lifted 9 inches on the truck so it was far cry from how high you're going so your results might be better.

Now you can get an adapter so that you can use the gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck with a 5th wheel camper - Darrin Tosh has one pm him about where he picked it up from. His truck is lifted and he flipped the axles with no complaints last time I talked with him about it at the ralley in Indiana.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The biggest problem towing a 5th wheel with a lifted truck is there is not enough clearance between the bed sides and the bottom of the kick up of the trailer where it goes over the bed of the truck.

If your going to pull a travel trailer, and it is too low, you could do a spring over axle flip. That would raise the trailer approx 4". You can flip axels on 5er's too. Mine 5er is flipped and I still have to watch where I go so I don't hit the top of the bed sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online