Sold my IDI, bought a Cummins

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently came in possesion of a 96 12 valve and im in love with it. I bought it very cheap so it needs a little work. I've been tinkering and I know it needs a lift pump, fuel shutoff solienoid, and the 5th gear nut fixed. I have a little bit of white smoke on start-up and I know its a fuel system problem,, worn out injectors maybe? Any help is appricated ;Sweet

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Sell it!!! LOL Not a Cummins man or fan at all but hope you enjoy the truck(till you get an idi again :D)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Traitor!!!

I think what he meant to say was,.... "Nice Upgrade!" ;Sweet You can do a few tweaks to that Cummins and ADD the power of his NA IDI! to the stock Hp and Tq :eek:

Congrats on the new Truck, You will love the Cummins! For white smoke sounds like the injectors are getting weak, as you stated.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I think what he meant to say was,.... "Nice Upgrade!" ;Sweet You can do a few tweaks to that Cummins and ADD the power of his NA IDI! to the stock Hp and Tq :eek:

Congrats on the new Truck, You will love the Cummins! For white smoke sounds like the injectors are getting weak, as you stated.

That wasnt very nice Darrin. I was just jokin... :(

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Congrats. Now for the 5th gear nut. I fought mine for a while and what I found that works is replace the main shaft with an updated one and replace the gear at the same time. On my 2wd it took about 4 hours of work. That included pulling the trans. Its actually pretty easy on a 2wd. Yes you will have a little bit more with having to drop the transfer case. No special tools other than snap ring pliers but they are the style used on the non ring type. Basically sort of looks like pistion ring pliers.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I'll try and get some good pics up soon, so far im loving it. It gets great fuel mileage and pulls amazingly. I can't wait to get to tweaking on it a little bit when my finances approve lol

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score

Thanks Darrin, I hope this pic is big enough to tell anything about it (droid cell phone pic). I'm painting it in the fall Mineral gray metallic so it'll be lookin pretty good soon. The interior is a must see, I'll get one up asap

Attachments

• 1cummins.jpg
    1cummins.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 131

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ya i dont think youll ever go back!! as an owner of both motors... i can say that with confidence. ive got $100 in performance parts in mine and its EASILY over twice what my turbo IDI has. easily. all ive done is grind the fuel plate, move the AFC housing forward and back off the star wheel, and put a 4000 rpm gov spring kit in it. that was the $100 was the gsk. UN-F'ing-BELIEVABLE what that GSK does!!! ive got more fun in the first 1/4 throttle with that cummins than flooring the IDI. i cannot say enough good about it. im selling my spare IDI motors i had for Blue... if it goes, i WILL do another swap!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online