Softer suspension and load capacity?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day all and a happy new year to everyone. A job opportunity came my way recently but it is waaay up and out an old dirt logging/fire road. This would be an off-and-on long term job for the bulk of 2017 and I am worried about beating my truck to death with the numerous unavoidable potholes, ruts, washboards, rocks, logs, etc. I drove in yesterday for the first time and with my tires aired up to 50psi in front and 75psi in rear I felt every nook and cranny of the road. I had to stay in first gear for 35 minutes--anything faster than 10mph and the vibrations became unbearable. FWIW, the road is called Last Chance--the name is appropriate. Are there any financially reasonable ways to soften up the suspension yet still maintain load capacity? And is there a formula or conversion chart available to determine load capacity at lower tire pressures? I'm thinking that lower tire pressures would be easy and cheap since all I would need is a good on-board air compressor. I really want this job opportunity but am concerned it might destroy my truck. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower the tire pressure is a good start. After this it gets expensive; changing springs and adding air bags. Do the research on a set if softer springs (rear) and adding rear air bags. You can't do much with the front end as that is where the heavy engine.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Buy a beater truck just for that purpose and don't worry about it
Otherwise try to find a set of bias ply tires

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Otherwise try to find a set of bias ply tires

Strange you should mention this - I once put a pair of (ancient) Goodyear Wrangler RT2 HMMVW tires on the back of a truck. They leaked a little, and I was at pretty low air pressure for the trip, but man did it soften out the bumps. And they were so stiff they held their shape even with just a few PSI in them.

You might well be able to do something like that; heavy stiff tire with low pressure or something.

Other than that... definitely check your shocks, shock bushings and all the other rubber bushings on the truck. After this many years, they are probably all worn out.

The good news is... these trucks are TOUGH. With massive wheel bearings and springs, it's pretty hard to break things in them... though your back might not appreciate it.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree the beater would be best. Forgive my ignorance but how do bias ply tires help my situation?

edit: Woops, answered before I could post.

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For running empty, you're way over inflated on the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Are you saying that even for daily use 75psi is over inflated(tires indicate max pressure is 80psi)? Or did you mean that given rough road conditions 80psi is way over inflated? The only reason I inflate them so much is I carry a lot of heavy loads of rock and dirt.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Both.
You only need higher pressure if you have the weight to match.
You can find weight/pressure charts online.
For empty, do the chalk test.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. It's hard when one day all I carry are my tools and then the next day 3500lbs of flagstone.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go for a common middle ground.
I don't know that a beater would be able to suit your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online