smoky

1 DOWN

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 05 GMC with the 6.6l in it and it has started to smoke out the exhaust the smoke is blue/grey?? it only does it when you are in drive with you foot on the brake,or just in park, but as soon as you step on it it clears up.
Any thoughts thanks

slingingsmoke

Reaction score
Probably some bad injectors. Take it to the dealer. They'll be under warranty for 200,000 miles. My Dad's 04 has had 4 replaced. my 06 is still running strong. This will happen without a CEL (check engine light) or a code being stored.

teabagger2006

hot stuff
Reaction score
he has an lly, so no 200k mile warranty! check the balance rates on the injectors. they should be plu or minus 3. also if its just a slight haze i wouldnt worry about it ,as several trucks that i know of do that

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some of your injectors are starting to wear. Duramax owners need to change their fuel filters much more often than the manual recommends. Unfortunately it will probably only get worse. This is an issue for all common rail injectors, and sadly the Duramax sees it more than most, due in part to the lack of a lift pump, which seems to contribute to pulling fine particles through the filter.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LBZ needed injectors at 220K due to very high return rates causing low rail pressure all the time. Its not unheard of. Everything wears out eventually. Our farms LLY needed injectors around 140K, it was running ok but smoked alot.