Slow coolant loss

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Slow coolant loss *updated

Ok,
I have been reading some other posts and have come to a conclusion I didn't want to see. :puke:
Awhile back I had been looking for some answers to coolant seen on the inspection cover on the trans. Never found the source. Well after seeing Scotty's PS2000 issues with jd's response to coolant use from the reservoir, I'm kinda gettin' the creeps. Thinking of head gasket failure.:number2

I plan on tracking down a pressure tester to give me more of a deffinitive answer. I have been going thru a qt of coolant about every 6 weeks and can smell it outside and inside the vehicle, but hasn't been seen inside yet. Does that sound about right for HG failure? Just one more issue added the the list in attempt resolve before July.:mad: :frustrate :***:

Ron

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Pump the coolant pressure tester up with both the engine cold and warm. sometimes a leak will only be present under only one condition (first stages of a leak).

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Travis, Thanks on the info for the test.

I have been keeping an eye on the hoses. Cold weather got me on that one with the block heater already. Soon to be replaced on the coolant filtration project. I am a little leary of the HG's as the CDR is in need of replacement...oil coating on the intake. Hoping that has not caused the back 2 cylinders to give a little fuss.:rolleyes:
Everything till now that has not been changed or replaced by me has over 262k on it. Just time for some maintenance. Can't recall, but does the heater box have a drain **** hole on it somewhere, or is the only place to leak is thru the gasket on the box at the firewall?

:thanks: Ron

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wait till the weather warms up, you could always bypass the heater core to rule that out. Back when I had head gasket water leakage ,I couldn't smell it until I got out of the truck, or opened a window.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
If you wait till the weather warms up,
LOL LOL :joker: :rotflmao
Man Mel, this is Michigan. That darned arctic air from the north keeps pushin' our way. Getting tired of it already. I am gonna get into the heater box tonite and see if there are any leaking signs in there. Nothing so far has made it into the cabin. I'm kinda thinking that I have the ole double whammy going here.:frustrate
The ole Beef cow is giving me a run for the money here right now and I don't think she's wanting to make the trip. Like that's gonna change. :popcorn
Anywho, if I gotta pull the heads, I am contemplating a total go thru of the engine and heads while it is out if cash allows. The motor has what sounds to me like a gasser rod knock, but is intermittent and not always noticeable. Just gotta find a tree big enough to pull that boat anchor out.;Poke
The way she keeps acting, might have to drag it down on a trailer and have a ground up truck rebuild clinic at the meet:eek: ( flame suit donned)-Flame Thr Towed by a PSD!....Just kidding.

Ron

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Update

Ok update here,
Man froze my namesake off tonite for an hour checking about.
:***:
Found wetspot around hose on head to heater core. Tightened down AGAIN! all the other dry.
Found more coolant on inspection cover...fresh.
Found coolant on left engine mount. Oil cooler.. not leaking.
Found wet area arond block heater and corroded tightening nut. Dried up when up to temp.
Water pump..dry.
Left head back lower corner was dry from degreasing when trans was out.
Right head lower bottom had substantial oil goop at head/ block mating surface. Was cleaned also on trans removal 2 months back.:eek:
Heater core has been replaced bofore but small corrosion spot lower left corner. Box was dry.. Gonna change this weekend.
Radiator had been recored before. Noted black paint buildup and core looked good and dry.

Gonna still do pressure test but gotta wait till my buddies rad shop is closed over weekend to use the adapter.

Diagnosis? Right head gasket toast?

Can't explain source of left motor mount find.:frustrate :frustrate :frustrate

On edit

Took her out for a run to get the kids and afterwards, checked same spots again. All dry:frustrate
Shut her down and waited 5 minutes and checked again. Found fresh oil/fluid leakage on right back lower head. Hard to tell if there was antifreze present though.
Not looking good eh?

Ron

Last edited: