>>> SLEEPER BOOT <<<

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MIDNIGHT RIDER, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MIDNIGHT RIDER

MIDNIGHT RIDER Full Access Member

I have just spent the better part of two hours searching for something I figured would be a simple find --- replacement sleeper-boot material; comes in a roll and sold by the foot.

I can find that accordian stuff everywhere, but not the big truck stuff, which is simply flat, with no edge-clips nor pleats.

My sleeper is a Double Eagle; I tried my links to their site and only get "this site no longer available", like maybe they are no longer in existence. :dunno

I figured I could have found this stuff, had it bought, and already been in bed by now.

Does anyone know of an online source for sleeper boot material ??

I have found a few places that advertise replacing sleeper boots, but their sites are very spartan and only say that they do the service.

Thanks.

2. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

There's a possible answer, or at least a hint toward an answer, at the following website.

Double Eagle

They mention a phone number and a website address. Hope this helps.

3. RLDSL

RLDSL Diesel fuel abuser

THe company is out of business. Too dang bad, I would love to have one of those things.
    Id bet they are attached just likea big truck and they use a big strip of flat heavy rubber pinched into the framework on each side

4. MIDNIGHT RIDER

It is just like you describe, RSDSL.

There is a panel screw-attached onto the back of the truck's cab that has a flange that is an exact match in shape/size to the opening on the sleeper.

Onto these flat flanges, both truck-cab and sleeper, first = an inch-wide strip of gooey tar-like sealer goes all the way around; on top of that, the actual flat rubber strip of boot that spans the gap between cab and sleeper; another layer of that gooey stuff; over all of this are two flanges that clamp/sandwich all of this together, through which a million screws clamp this flange to the ones rigidly attached to the cab and sleeper.

The butt-ends of the wide rubber boot meet at bottom-center where it is least likely that water will ever intrude.

Once all of this is installed and firmly sandwiched together, a thick layer of cushioning foam goes all around, covered by a leather upholstery and various trim pieces to yield a finished look.

It takes a good day to get at and replace a boot. :)

5. tonkadoctor

tonkadoctor Full Access Member

Check out the products from Uni-Grip. They have all kinds of rubber extrusions.

I've bought accordion seal here and can highly recommend them.

They are a manufacturer that sells direct to the public and will cut you any length you need.

6. MIDNIGHT RIDER

Thank you, tonkadoctor; I will give them a call as soon as I get some accurate measurements.

As hard as this stuff is to find, I will probably get enough for two or three re-seals. :)

7. Hoss6.9

Hoss6.9 V - "The BOSS"

Hey Rider! I am about 20 miles from Shipshewana. Where Double Eagle or (Double Buzzard) as we called them from where the shop was. They have been out of business for quite a number of years. ARI - Legacy Sleepers is in Shipshewana also. They build the best sleeper on the market today. I have a friend that works over there.

Link to their site: http://www.legacysleepers.com/

Maybe they can help you out too.... They are good people to deal with....

Let me know if I can help ya out....

Hoss....