should i get a 6.0 or a 6.8?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain 6.0 can be a ROYAL PITA, But others can be real good trucks.

For example.

My friend bought a brand new 03 6.0(the supposid worst year) he put 350k on the truck pulling a 2 car wedge trailer all over the east coast. All stock, no power upgrades at all
@150 a set of injectors
@250 a set of injectors
@300 a cat and trans rebuild

He traded that truck in on a 06-or 07 6.0 last year. The "new truck had just under 100k and a clean oasis report. AGAIN, no power adders
@100k head gaskets
@105k head gaskets AGAIN
@110k HEAD GASKETS AGAIN. But this time it got ARP head studs, Liberator EGR delete and the oil cooler upgrade.
Now the truck had 200k and no more issues.

So take a 6.0 for what it is. RAW power that was pushed into production , with limited time to work the bugs out, there is reason ford sued international over this engine and also why international no longer makes for diesel engines, it is called the 6.0. Dont get me wrong, a 6.0 with upgrades is basicly bulletproof, but you will pay to make it that way.

As for the 6.8. unless it is the 05 or newer, they are quite doggy, but a 05-2010 is 365hp

yeah im gonna see whats going on with the 7.3 up there. there are 2 of them. same everything just ones an 02 xl and other one is an 01 xlt. and brad your always posting in my threads, and everytime its something different im looking to do with my truckLOL

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cummins cab is rusted and the tranny is a weak point. i dont have the cash to fix either of them when they get out of hand. the v10 is reliable though. regardless of mileage and it HAS to have more power than the v8 the one in our van is a hog.

No cash to fix a tranny in a 99 Dodge with a good Cummins engine in it and you're looking at buying a Superduty with a 6.OhNo. ;Really Or a gas sipping V-10-Down:rotflmao

Good Luck, yer gonna need it.......

and a bank loan.:kick:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
yeah im gonna see whats going on with the 7.3 up there. there are 2 of them. same everything just ones an 02 xl and other one is an 01 xlt. and brad your always posting in my threads, and everytime its something different im looking to do with my truckLOL

And plan on pulling the cab to do headstuds and gaskets

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
If you do all the main probs to the 6.0, you will have a MEAN truck. Just sucks you gotta pay to play. You could save lots of money and just rebuild the trans in your dodge. Already a proven motor just the truck around it aint that good. But can be made good but again costs money.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:I would totally go for the 7.3L stick. Less power but alot more dependable motor and then that stick also wont quit pulling all of a sudden on you.

Why do you say a 6.0 is not reliable? Have you owned one? What are your experiences? My 6.0 has NEVER STRANDED me. It is the family car and have no hesitation to drive it anywhere. If you remember, the CPS is in the 7.3 will leave you dead in the water with no warning. So it is not as bullet proof as everyone would like to think. I was in the parking garage at work in ~10 degree weather. It has sat there for over 12 hours. There was a 7.3 parked just down from me. I turned on the key, waited for the WTS, and started the truck. He tried for 15+ minutes and had to get a ride home. So please, share your first hand experience with a 6.0.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do all the main probs to the 6.0, you will have a MEAN truck. Just sucks you gotta pay to play. You could save lots of money and just rebuild the trans in your dodge. Already a proven motor just the truck around it aint that good. But can be made good but again costs money.

yeah the truck around it sucks. bigtime. but for everyone who thinks im BUYING the new truck, im not im trading mine straight for it. and i dont have the money to fix the 6.0 which are hit and miss nobody can really disagree there. but then again any car can be. im gonna try for the 7.3 stick if i ever get a chance to go up, if not. im gonna go v10 and kick myself in the ass when unleaded passes diesel. fwiw in CT, gas down where i work in fairfield county is 4.29 a gallon and diesel is 4.89. where i live in NH county diesel is 4.39 and regular is 4.19. rediculous.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cash to fix a tranny in a 99 Dodge with a good Cummins engine in it and you're looking at buying a Superduty with a 6.OhNo. ;Really Or a gas sipping V-10-Down:rotflmao

Good Luck, yer gonna need it.......

and a bank loan.:kick:

im not buyin the truck, trading mine straight for it. it needs cab corners done and the rockers too but there not bad needs a door due to rust, and a tranny rebuild for when it goes is gonna be in the 2k range. plus the 2k for body work on a truck with 236k and climbing fast, id rather go for something in a little better shape. i paid book for the truck when i bought it so i didnt get beat on it. i got it for 6k in decent shape. the only bad rot is the passeneger door. id rather have a ford to be honest anyway.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You are trying to tell me a dealer is going to trade even up

Your 99 dodge w bad cab corners and doors
a weak trans
and 240k

For a 01-04 superduty with under 200k?

Something does NOT add up:dunno

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one bad cab corner, one bad door, 240k. and a tranny im afraid of, not weak haha. but. i think the superduty diesel 7.3 has over 200k maybe not. and itts not perfect, has some rust as well, the other one has 293k. and the 6.8 gasser which has 110k he wants my truck and upwards of a grand. around 800. i know it sounds odd, my trucks in solid shape its not too far gone but if theres something id rather work on and spend money on id rather it be a ford. he knows me too, i got my truck from him. so i guess that helps in the deal.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Go for it man, especially if hes givin you a truck and some cash. A Ford with a 7.3 is just an awesome truck. Best of both worlds. Especially with a manual.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no hes not givin me cash im givin him cash haha and im goin for the 7.3 stick when i go up next week.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck and 800 for the gasser, or 6.0. idk what the 7.3 is gonna be. probably a straight trade

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeahh seems good to me. and i found 2 more one with 240k and 276k. auto though.